Towing & Hauling

99 F150 and Prodigy P2 Controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 F150 and Prodigy P2 Controller

I am getting ready to tow a two axle 25" travel trailer with my 99 F150, I have heard the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 is one of the best on the market. I have no experience towing beyond my boat and never used any controller. I believe the one I need is the #90885. I don't know if my truck came with the factory tow package or if its plug and play capable or not. If so I could purchase the wiring harness to allow that as well. I believe the P2 comes with a harness that needs hard wiring or I can buy the 3035P harness if desired.

My question is this, does anybody have any hints on what is the best route to go with this? Am I going the right direction? Anything you can tell me I am sure I would find it useful. Many thanks.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Factory tow package will have the frame mounted hitch receiver and round 7 pin connector. If all of that is present, you most likely have the tow package.

Make sure you have the additional fuses and relays installed in the under hood fuse box. Take a look at the sticky post in this forum for the locations of the necessary fuses/relays. Most likely, if it's got the tow package, it's got them in place already.

Get the Prodigy and pop for the Ford wire harness, then it's plug and play. You plug it in under the dash. It's next to or behind the ODBCII connector under the dash right above where your right leg is.

Mount it per the instructions and mount it in a place where you can reach it easily without looking at it. This is so you can activate the manual slide bar as needed.

You'll need a WD hitch setup for that size trailer. Hopefully you have the 5.4 in your 99 and at least 3.55 gears.

Since you've towed boats, a TT is not any different, just bigger and heavier..

Hope that helps get you going!

Mitch

Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very much appreciate your input Mitch. My truck does have the frame mounted receiver hitch and the round 7 pin connector. Also I do have the 5.4 engine, not sure of the gear ratio. Hooked that trailer up and discovered I had no brake lights, checked all the fuses and relays, I am thinking now its the pedal switch. All other lights work. No high mount or rear brake lights. When I buy the Prodigy P2 I will pop for the Ford harness, it make sense. Not sure what the WD hitch setup is you refer to. I will research that further and the gear ratio. Thanks again.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is a Weight Distribution hitch. They are lots of different brands and designs out there, but this is the most 'basic' setup. It helps restore your rear ride height and put some weight back on the front axle so you can steer!

Mitch

Quick Reply: 99 F150 and Prodigy P2 Controller