Towing & Hauling

Tow Capacity Chart

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow Capacity Chart

Hi,

I have a 97 4.6 Lariat, side step, 3-door, 4x4, 4r70w tranny, and with factory tow package.

I'm unsure of how to read the tow chart I have below.

Is the payload capacity the amount of the weight I can have in the cab and the bed? Does the max towing include the weight of the payload?

The car trailer and the car I'll be towing will be about 5,000 lbs. I'll have another 1500 lbs in the truck, including the weight of me.

Am I safe for this 900 mile trip?

Also, is my 3rd door cab a supercab or just reg cab?

Thanks

Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3rd door = SuperCab.

Payload is anything you add to the truck from it's 'curb weight' is taken. I have NO ideal how they determine 'curb weight'..

You have to subtract every pound of additional payload you add to the truck from every pound of that mythical 'tow rating' they give you..

Get this... My truck 'curb weight' is #4800... Well, guess what?? My truck really weighs around #5500 empty.. Add my fat a$$ and the other stuff I haul around and I'm at around #6000 before I even hitch up my travel trailer!

Anyway, I don't know what your truck is going to look like with #1500 in it before you even hitch up the car hauler... My guess it'll be pretty close to it's bump stops!

When I hitch up my TT, I'm running about #600 OVER the trucks GVWR. I do fine with it and it tows fine, but that's my choice to do this and I'm comfortable with it..

Been doing it for 10 years and some 170,000 miles since I've owned the truck.

To wrap up, I think you'll be fine towing the car hauler OR hauling the #1500 of stuff in the bed... But NOT both at the same time...

Good luck and have a safe trip no matter what!

Mitch

Old 04-13-2012, 03:36 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
1500# in the truck *AND* pulling that trailer is a no-go. Put all the weight you can INSIDE the car on the trailer.

The 1500# in the truck is going to eat up all or almost all of your allowable payload - the tongue weight of the trailer DOES count as payload. Properly loaded and balanced, 1500# in the trailer would only add 150 to 200# to the tongue weight. Ideal tongue weight is 12% of the trailer gross weight.

You have a "SuperCab Flareside".

Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by glc
1500# in the truck *AND* pulling that trailer is a no-go. Put all the weight you can INSIDE the car on the trailer.

The 1500# in the truck is going to eat up all or almost all of your allowable payload - the tongue weight of the trailer DOES count as payload. Properly loaded and balanced, 1500# in the trailer would only add 150 to 200# to the tongue weight. Ideal tongue weight is 12% of the trailer gross weight.

You have a "SuperCab Flareside".

Thanks for the clarification on the details.

What about a payload of 1000 lbs (including my weight) and towing 5000 lbs?

Towing 16 hrs staight on the same route with a 1200 lb payload and towing 3000 lbs was easy even at 65-70 mph.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
It's the tongue weight of the trailer that will determine how heavy a payload you can put in the truck and stay within limits. Can you exceed limits? Sure - but with a 15 year old truck and doing it for 900 miles is gonna be rough on it.

An ideally balanced 5000# trailer will have a tongue weight of 600#. Do the math.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 PM
So I loaded the S2000 today since I did my last autocross event in the region before I move to Lousiana.

I followed a diagram from one of the other threads on strap down the S2k and read not to cross it.

I plan on buying two (2) more straps with ratchets to use on the back since the kit I bought didn't have them for the rear straps since it was designed to go around the a-arms.

I did end up using the R-hooks.

As of now, I will have about 300-400 lbs(including me) in the cab of the F150, the bike and another 50 lbs of payload in the S2k. I may be able to reduce the payload by 50 lbs. I removed the back seats of the F150 to increase cargo space.

What do you guys think? Please feel free to make any comments since I won't be moving for a few more days.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Actually, that load does not look too bad.. You are probably over your GVWR and such, but take it easy and don't try to keep up with traffic if they are going 70 mph +... Keep it around 60-65 and make sure you check your tires and trailer setup at each stop you make along the way (gas/rest/food, etc).

I'd try to get the hooks on your straps to be level with the strap itself instead of being at a 90* angle. I'd be affraid that with all the movement, the straps will want to cut themselves at the angle part... I'd also try to get as much of the loose items you have in the bed secured a bit more/better..

Other than that, I'd say nice job and nice toys!

Have a safe trip!

Mitch

Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Got the 900 miles done. Avg 11.4 - 11.9 mpg at 55-65 mph. The total weight with driver and full gas was at 11,100 pounds. The only real problem i experienced was handling when ther was heavy cross wind and on broken pavement creating the truck and trailer to giggle around with little sway.

I will be upgrading the shocks to bilsteins hd to replace the original shocks. I may add airlift kit for the rear too to help increase payload capacity.

Overall, the little 4.6l engine did great. Felt awesome even at 4,500 rpm goong uphill to merge on the highway.

Quick Reply: Tow Capacity Chart