Towing & Hauling

"Blade" connection

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy "Blade" connection

Picked up my "new" truck last Saturday and I will be using the tow package. My question is: electric connection was identified as a rounded "blade" connection. OK, well, I have two trailers. 1) motorcyle trailer w/ a typical 4 pin connection 2) utility trailer w/ 4 pin connection.
Went to local Northern shop and there were no blade-->4pin connectors. The Northern rep looked at me like my hair was on fire saying he had never seen this type of "blade" connection.
Me, being a novice to the full sized trucks, have no clue. Is the blade standard? Who is a good resource?
Thanks...nice site...looks like my new home.

------------------
...my first "big" truck
'99 Ford F-150 Lariat
4WD, 4DR...absolutely stock

Old 02-05-2001, 07:55 PM
Talking

I hate when I ask a question, then start doing research, I find the answer anyway. NOTE TO SELF: Do research first. Anyway, I found the connector at: http://www.dyersonline.com

Good site for RV stuff...

------------------
...my first "big" truck
'99 Ford F-150 Lariat

Old 02-05-2001, 08:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Glad you found the answer to your question. You should enjoy towing with your new truck. Be sure to check out all the other areas of this site. But be careful! Don't let the modification but bite (at least not too hard).

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Old 02-05-2001, 10:23 PM

If you have a U-haul store in you area they also should have the adapter. I found my 4 pin to seven prong there. Hope this helps.

------------------
'97 F150 4.6L XL WHITE,FLEETSIDE R/C L/B, LEER SHELL W/FISHING POLE RACK, BED MAT,LIMMITED SLIP,245/75/16 DESERT DOGS ON POLISHED ALUM, WHEELS.
AIRAID, 3" CAT BACK OUT THE SIDE w/MAGNAFLOW MUFFER

Old 02-06-2001, 09:25 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the responses. I completely forgot about U-Haul and their vast array of towing accessories (...another "note").

As far as the accessories...umm...naa, I bought this truck to work and tow, not win any speed 'n' shine competitions (although the leather and supercab 4DR stuff does look and feel good).

Thanks!

------------------
...my first "big" truck
'99 Ford F-150 Lariat

Old 02-06-2001, 11:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by murfster:
As far as the accessories...umm...naa, I bought this truck to work and tow, not win any speed 'n' shine competitions (although the leather and supercab 4DR stuff does look and feel good).</font>
Big power doesn't have to be applied to speed.

Actually, I understand perfectly. We off-road in the Expedition, so it doesn't have carpet or cloth (or leather) seats. Vinyl all over makes it easy to hose out the dirt. Function over form.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Old 02-07-2001, 10:19 AM
murfster.
Welcome to the boards.
Are you talking about the adapter from the round plug on the truck to the standard flat 4-pin on your trailer? If you are, look under the passenger seat, there should be an adapter in a plastic bag.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and every option but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 02-07-2001, 11:53 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Indyfan, he just picked up his 'new' '99.
His adapter is sitting on a shelf in the garage of the original owner.

Old 02-07-2001, 01:49 PM
Lightbulb

(I can't get the hang of what smiley-con I need to be using...sigh...). Indyfan, yes, that's the exact adapter I'm looking for! I didn't think to look under the seat for any adapters (although I did find a tasty 'lil morsel that I think resembled an Oreo cookie). Since you post, I did search under the seat...and nada.
As Raoul pointed out it "my new" '99 (nice deal...22k miles from a 72 yr old--now deceased-- rancher) Ford adapter is probably sitting on a shelf...and now a highly contested item for probate court.

Indyfan...since I've got you, how do I find out more about my truck? Your description fits mine, but I have no idea what options (other than the obvious) this truck has. What's the best way to find out? Do I have the true "tow package" or just a bar and wires...do I have a LS rear...what is my gearing...all these question...(I'm not rich so hit me with a flat fee as opposed to hourly rate...

Thanks...~M

------------------
...my first "big" truck
'99 Ford F-150 Lariat

Old 02-08-2001, 08:37 AM
You can e-mail ford.com with your vin number and maybe they will reply but I've been waiting a week on just trying to find out what the gvcw is for my truck and have no response yet, but it's freeeeee!

Old 03-09-2001, 01:19 PM
Red face

nomo...it got me! Is there a cure? I promise no more, but wow, it happened so darned fast! There was very little warning when it hit. I am on my guard for now on.

Thx...

------------------
...my first "big" truck
------------------
'99 Ford F-150 Lariat
4WD, 4DR - !!NO LONGER absolutely stock!!
* Superchips
* K&N FIPK GEN II
=================
'99 Chrysler 300M
* Borla Cat-Bak
* K&N Filtercharger
=================
www.atlantagamerz.com
www.f150online.com
www.300mclub.org

Quick Reply: "Blade" connection