Towing & Hauling

Hitch Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hitch Receiver

I've got a 2000 4X4 supercab. I'd like to add a class III 2" hitch receiver.

Is installation easy?

Do I need to level the truck? The rear is slightly higher than the front.

When do I need to upgrade the truck with the other options included in the tow package (e.g. h.d. shocks)?

Thanks.

Old 10-24-2000, 12:41 AM
Juat make sure you get one that "bolts on" many will to existing holes. If you do that then you will find it very easy to DIY.

Level? No, not realy much of a problem.

To all your other questions: it depends on how much you are going to tow. Give us an example and we can go from there.

Never hurts to put in a tranny cooler (if Auto, you don't say) and HD shocks (except for the unloaded ride quality maybe)

Let us know how much you plan to tow.

Old 11-09-2000, 08:11 PM
Smile

I, too, am looking for a hitch. Am going to be very particular about the looks and, in fact, if it looks bad on my truck, I ain't getting one.

Any suggestions as to a hitch brand? I've been looking at Hidden Hitch which (supposedly) is pretty well hidden below the bumper line. Perhaps, Ford's hitch is a good one?

------------------
2000 F-150 Harley-Davidson
'99 FLHRCI
'95 XLH

Old 11-09-2000, 10:15 PM
Banned
this is a hidden hitch, the reason you cant see it is.....well........because it is hidden, but you can see the ford symbol (duh)
it also has some places to hook tow ropes for pulling chevies out of the mud, very handy
i hope i do this right, first time, big **** picture!

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT Clearcoat Red
4x2
4x4 wheels
Stepside, K&N, bedliner
32inch tires,flowmaster
tint, matching ford sticker
5spd fully loaded, hidden hitch
new spark plugs
Comming soon:
spark plug wires,leveling kit,toolbox,
bed rails,push bar, CB with whiplash,
clear corner lenses,brush guard, blackouts,
edlebrock shocks, hypertech, K&N induction system,KC highlighters,
bed xtender, BOSE audio or infinity gold, disc changer,
side steps, dixie horn, white faaced gauges, and those small fender flares some 4x4's have,
matching boddy color of course, and some of those door guards,ventshade visors, power pulleys, that is all
i can think of right now

[This message has been edited by Waldo0506 (edited 11-09-2000).]

Old 11-09-2000, 11:21 PM
The Hidden Hitch is one of the best looking hitches you can get. The mounting holes lined up without any problems. Installation should take you less than fifteen minutes in your driveway. Two people would be best for installation, but one could do it. The only part of the hitch you see is the receiver tube with the safety chain loops and light connector holders (6 and 7 wire).

------------------
Brent

Black 1998 F-150 XLT Flareside STX
4.2 V-6, 5-Speed, 3.55 Gears, Hidden Hitch®

Old 11-16-2000, 10:31 AM
Thanks much for posting the picture, Waldo, that helped a lot to be able to see the hitch!

I'm also happy to hear that it is so easy to install. OK, now that I've made my decision to get it -- any suggestions as to where to get the best price with shipping, etc??? I called Performance Products out of Van Nuys, CA, and they quoted me $98 plus $42 shipping to Iowa. I thought the shipping a bit expensive. It weighs in at about 60 pounds.

------------------
(Superchip on order)
'99 FLHRCI
'95 XLH

Old 11-18-2000, 12:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds a bit much... I have a draw-tite shop near me, and they installed it on my Explorer in about 10 minutes for $110. (I had tried the hidden hitch , but it wouldn't work with my spare) I sold it to a co-worker, and to take it off mine and put it on his in the parking lot at work took all of 1/2 hour. You should be able to find one in the area for around $120-$130 max. $140 with shipping isn't too bad either.
-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!
List of planned mods: Clear corners and tails, CB wiring, Stainless brush guard, at least 1 set of KCs (probably more!), custom radar detector mount, color matched trailer hitch with stainless steel ball, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, spray in liner, and a tonneau of some sort...

Trending Topics

Old 12-06-2000, 06:09 PM
Smile

Found one!

I saw on another thread that Hidden Hitch is carried by JC Whitney and they were on special for $99.95. Sure 'nuf (even though it was supposed to end 10/30/00) I was able to get it for that price plus only $6.00 shipping! (The shipping was another special that was supposed to have ended.) I'm a happy guy with this.

------------------
Hard Tonneau Cover
Superchip
'99 FLHRCI
'95 XLH

Old 12-11-2000, 07:59 PM
Cool

I received the Hidden Hitch today and even though we are in a Winter Storm and Wind area today (55 degrees BELOW zero wind-chill and 6 inches of snow and 35 mph winds causing a blizzard!!!) I was out in the garage and installing the new hitch. My wife and daughter were home since school was cancelled and I thought I might need her assistance or extra set of hands. Ended up using the motorcycle jack to hoist the hitch into position after installing the side brackets and it worked perfectly. The entire install didn't take 35 minutes for the hitch itself.

I did run into some problems moving the wiring harness and door over to the cutout on the new hitch. None of the holes lined up and I had to re-drill the thing. Spent another 45 minutes getting the wiring done, but now all is well with that.

Lastly, (this was one of the best parts!) I installed the new laser cut Harley Logo Aluminum cover my wonderful wife picked up for me this weekend and that only took about 15 seconds!

The Hidden Hitch looks great on the Harley Truck, but won't get much opportunity to use it until next spring when the snow is gone.

Went out and grabbed a quick picture of it today after clearing away ice and snow from the garage door. You can see how clean the Hidden Hitch looks :

------------------
Hard Tonneau Cover
Superchip
Hidden Hitch w/Harley Logo
'99 FLHRCI '95 XLH

[This message has been edited by HarleyGuy (edited 12-12-2000).]

Old 12-12-2000, 05:18 PM
One more option is going to be needed for the hitch cover: a lock. Can't afford to have a cover like that sitting there with only a pin through it.

------------------
Hard Tonneau Cover
Superchip
Hidden Hitch w/Harley Logo
'99 FLHRCI '95 XLH

Old 12-12-2000, 09:32 PM
DMP:

Nice touch.

N8JG

Quick Reply: Hitch Receiver