Towing & Hauling

towing with 6 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2000, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question towing with 6 cylinder

I have a 1989 F150 extended cab in great running condition with a straight 6 300 and standard transmission. I don't have an owners manual and don't know the towing specs for this truck. I'm wanting to pull a 22 foot travel trailer that weighs 3800 lbs and need some input if this will be problem. I already have a trailer brake and anti-sway and equalizer attachments. Thanks for any help

Old 07-27-2000, 01:46 PM
Used to pull a 3000 lb hard shell camper behind a 85 full-size bronco. It had the 300 straight six, and a 4 speed manual. Creeper 1st gear. In the back of the truck, we had 800 pounds of corn, apples for baiting deer. If I remember right, that truck had either 3.86 or 4.10 gearing. It can pull it but your not going to be impressed when encountering hills or accelerating. We had over 130,000 on that truck when we traded it in. We did add a set of helper springs to the rear of the truck to help with the sagging from all the weight. We did this about 15 times a year for about 300 miles each time. We went through 1 clutch. Bought the truck with 65,000 on it. It did average about 10 mpg either towing or empty.

Old 07-30-2000, 02:42 PM
Don't under sell that I6. The top engine in today's version of your truck is a mere 10% bigger (330 vs 300 cid).

The most important factors in your decision to tow or not to tow with that set up have to do with whether or not it is geared for making horsepower -- and if it has enough heat-management capability.

Does it have the 'extra cooling' package? You might make some inferences to this if it came with a Reese-style hitch.

Do you know what primary (rear-end) gear ratio it has? (if you don't have Limited Slip - you can determine this by jacking up one wheel and turning it one revolution and counting the revolutions of the pinion gear -- then multiply the pinion turns by two to get the ratio.)

Does your transmission have the 'granny' first gear?

What you want is to have your engine turning in 2,500 to 3,000 rpm range at your towing speed -- AND have enough startability (gear reduction) to launch the vehicle without launching the clutch ; and to be able to cool it and stop it.

The rest is pure enjoyment!

------------------
Y2K™ Jim Gorka

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Quick Reply: towing with 6 cylinder