Towing & Hauling

Towing with a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2000, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Towing with a supercharger

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how does the supercharger affect your tow rating.
I am wary of hauling or towing too much weight around since the supercharger increases internal cylinder pressure. I am afraid a few things may start breaking or cracking. I usually tow around 2000lbs with no problem and I shouldn't worry about that much weight. Thanks for any info.

98 Nascar Edition

homepage http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/jackhel/index.html

POWERDYNE SUPERCHARGER, SUPERCHIP, AUTOMETER BOOST GAUGE AND POD, K&N FILTER, TRANSGO PERFORMANCE SHIFT KIT, DYNOMAX ULTRA FLOW EXHAUST, GUTTED MAF, 4.10 REAR END GEARS, XTRA BRITE HALOGEN LITES, AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Motor Oil , 2 inch lowering shackles, G-Tech Pro Series II, AND SOME OTHER STUFF I CAN'T REMEMBER

Old 05-30-2000, 09:11 AM
I tow a 6700 lbs with my and have not broke anything yeat! But I also do not WOT. I would like to see what others have to say about this

------------------
1999 EB X 5.9 4.1 gears, Borla catback, Vortech supercharger,superchip

Old 06-29-2000, 10:55 AM
My 1989 Super Coupe with Eaton supercharger stated "no towing" in the owners manual. I don't believe you want the SC running in the boost for extended periods under load. Just my $.02.

------------------
Mine: FOR SALE SOON...1997 F150, XLT, SC, Oxford white/maroon 60/40 cloth, 4x4 ORP, 4.6L, 3.55LS, 17" ORP wheels w/GY AT/S LT265/70/17, auto, 6 CD,Towing package, alarm, Rhino grill guard w/PICCA lights, dual exhaust. Bought new June '96

Wife: '99Explorer Limited,pearl white/tan leather,4.0L,4:10LS,CD,sunroof,towing pkg.,alarm. Bought new Sept. 1999

Next: 2001 F150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4,3:55LS,tow pkg. etc.......

Previous: '65 Mustang 289 HiPo, '70 Chevelle SS 396, '70 Vette Conv. 350/350, 72 Datsun PU,'74 Vette TTop, '79 Blazer, '81 F150, '83 Bonneville, '84 Gran Marquis '89 TBird Super Coupe 3.8L SuperCharged, '93 Explorer 4.0L

Old 06-29-2000, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi guys,

A couple fo comments, if I may....

You really can't compare the 1989-1995 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe to these vehicles, I've owned Super Coupes and know them *very* well. You can't tow with them because of the design of the vehicle's basic platform, its powertrain, and its computer-controlled performance suspension with multi-stage electronic shocks; it was a performance vehicle with no towing package or provisions from the factory. In other words, it was deisgned to be a true performance car, and not a tow vehicle, Ford deliberately did that, they did not want anyone towing with that vhiecle simply because it was a special-purpose factory supercharged hot-rod, not a towing vehicle.

That has nothing to do with installing a supercharger on an F-150 and then towing with it, just so you'll know.

These F-150's are completely different, even if you put a supercharger on them. A supercharger does not in itself increase or decrease a vehicle's rated towing capacity, simply because far more goes into that capacity rating than just power. It's cooling systems, brakes, and everything else that gets more highly stressed when towing that go into making up the rating, as well as the basic vehicle platform, the chassis, etc.

Ther is no basic reason why you cannot tow your full rated towing capacity with a supercharger, we have literally hundreds of F-150's doing just that. As long as it's a well-designed supercharger kit, and most of them on the market today are pretty good, you won't have a problem with towing, nor do you need to reduce the amount of load you tow just because of the supercharger.

We have worked with Magnuson, Eaton, Vortech, Wynjammer, Powerdyne, Paxton, and just about every other blower manufacturer in this country.

The way Jackhel has his F-150 configured, with the blower, 4.10 gears, and everything else, it should make an *excellent* tow vehicle. It should be able to tow twice as much weight as he mentioned with no problems at all.

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Info:https://www.f150online.com/rally2000/index.html

Old 06-29-2000, 06:31 PM
The Lightning is the only super/turbo-charged vehicle (yeah, yeah, I know diesels are turbo-charged -- and don't give me some wierdo vehicle) that comes from the factory with approval to tow.

Point: Your lightning pulling my trailer along I-94 doesn't use/make any more HP than my truck on the same route and pull.

So........

...as long as you don't USE all the HP that's available, you're not gonna get into trouble, since Ford has obviously planned on getting rid of the heat (which, of course, is the real issue) so that the engine doesn't do a '3-Mile-Island'.

Damn, I wish I'd have thought of that BEFORE buying my present truck (now that the kid's grown and out of the house, I can afford to own something quick)!

------------------
Y2K™

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Quick Reply: Towing with a supercharger