Towing & Hauling

15.6 mpg flat-towing our jeep

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15.6 mpg flat-towing our jeep

we averaged 15.6 mpg on the trip from new mexico back to dallas flat-towing our jeep in OD

the stretch is overall downhill, but i only expected about 14

i pulled the first leg on the way up with OD locked out, and we got 12.7...the next leg, up into the mountains, i used OD for most of the way until the transmission needed to downshift then clicked it off from there and we got 13.7

overall, it pulled the jeep fine, braking was no problem and handling was no problem...i don't know how well it would've done up some of the passes in utah and colorado though, but i'll find out next trip because we'll tow the whole way instead of driving the jeep from nm onward

Old 07-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ()smoke()
we averaged 15.6 mpg on the trip from new mexico back to dallas flat-towing our jeep in OD

the stretch is overall downhill, but i only expected about 14

i pulled the first leg on the way up with OD locked out, and we got 12.7...the next leg, up into the mountains, i used OD for most of the way until the transmission needed to downshift then clicked it off from there and we got 13.7

overall, it pulled the jeep fine, braking was no problem and handling was no problem...i don't know how well it would've done up some of the passes in utah and colorado though, but i'll find out next trip because we'll tow the whole way instead of driving the jeep from nm onward
Wow thats awesome mileage! Glad to hear she pulled well for you, mine has always made me proud

Old 07-05-2007, 05:27 PM
My Jeep flat tow pretty well also, but I think my best tank without towing was around the mid-15 numbers. But then I also had wider tires from day one.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:20 AM
Yep, I usually get between 14-16mpg towing the racecar on an open trailer, which is about the same weight as the Jeep, maybe a little more (~4000 lbs for car, spares, tools, trailer) and about the same profile since the car is higher up.

Quick Reply: 15.6 mpg flat-towing our jeep