Towing & Hauling

Ripped frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ripped frame

I drive a 98 F-150 ext cab short bed. I recently noticed (after scraping a few times) that my hitch has actually ripped part of the truck frame. The hitch was a universal type that is rated at 500lbs. I tow an 18 foot alum fish/ski. I know the tongue weight isn't close to the 500lb limit. My question is, I have recently started hauling a camper on top of the truck. Could this additional wieght (1100lbs) have put extra strain on the hitch/frame or was the Universal hitch just not the right kind. I have had the hitch on my truck for about 5 years now with no problem until recently.
I am getting ready to install some air bag lifters to help out for the weight of the camper. Hmm, maybe I need to go with a bigger GMC??
Thanks
Len

Old 05-09-2006, 06:28 AM
You didnt have loose bolts did you? Where exactly did it tear?

Old 05-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Honestly I don't know, but I think I would have heard something if they were. I'm going to hit up a hitch company tomorrow and see what they can tell me. All things are pointing to the wrong type hitch.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by riveraftin
I drive a 98 F-150 ext cab short bed. I recently noticed (after scraping a few times) that my hitch has actually ripped part of the truck frame. The hitch was a universal type that is rated at 500lbs. I tow an 18 foot alum fish/ski. I know the tongue weight isn't close to the 500lb limit. My question is, I have recently started hauling a camper on top of the truck. Could this additional wieght (1100lbs) have put extra strain on the hitch/frame or was the Universal hitch just not the right kind. I have had the hitch on my truck for about 5 years now with no problem until recently.
I am getting ready to install some air bag lifters to help out for the weight of the camper. Hmm, maybe I need to go with a bigger GMC??
Thanks
Len
You might want to consider adding a rear sway bar as well.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Seems like even if it was the wrong hitch, its still not enough weight on the tongue to do that. You know a good welder? I've seen more than 1 welded on.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:53 PM
You pay for what you get,it may have been built cheap with Low grade metal and the bolts were the wrong grade.Alot of stores sell these cheap hitchs for a low price and in time they fall apart.Don't cut corners on a hitch,have a brand name too be safe when towing something big or small.If they aren't bolted on good,they will give with any weight and the bouncing you get while you drive. That's my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Ripped frame