Towing & Hauling

Trailer Charging?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Charging?

I have a 2005 F-150, an I hooked it up to my trailer recently, and I saw no charge going to the battery. I unhooked the harness and noticed on the flap that covers the jack the labels telling what each connector was. With the truck running I measured the + terminal and the meter went from -1.5 to 2.0 and was all over the baord between those 2 points. I would expect this to be in the 13v area and never negative... I found fuse 106 was for trailer charge, I removed it and that made no difference.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for the help,
Keith

Old 05-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Did you hook up the wires yourself? I had a bad ground on an old truck, would only let about half as much electricity as the vehicle needed, so the lights were realy dull. After a wire brush and new bolt it worked great. Even if you didn't install. It may just need a new ground.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Have you installed the relay for the trailer lights (under the hood)?

Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Well it is a brand new 2005 (Last Fall) and it came with the tow package... Looking further I found a relay missing (inside riders side)... It would seem that the Tow Package would include this relay...

So now my next question is where would Ford have hidden that, or did my dealer just not give it to me? What else did they not give me with my Tow Package, should I have gotten a brake module or something like that to control trailer brakes, or is that mounted in the truck somewhere...

Thanks for the tips,
Keith

Old 05-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Look in the glove box or bundled in with the tire jack. Those are the two locations I've heard of this package hidden. It's a plastic bag with two relays, a pigtail for a brake controller, and a page or two of instructions.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:54 AM
my 2004 only came with one relay and the pigtail is there suspose to be two relays also mine was bundled in the glove box

Old 05-03-2006, 12:34 PM
I found them... It was behind the glove box. I was laying on the floor looking at the fuse panel, I saw the package stuffed up behind the glove box... Makes me wonder how they got there, I assume at one point it was in the glove box...

Thanks for all the pointers,
Keith

Quick Reply: Trailer Charging?