Towing & Hauling

Hauling a motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hauling a motorcycle

Anybody haul their motorcyles in their truck beds?
I'm considering installing a winch in the bed to pull my 800 lb.
touring bike up the ramp.
Among other things to consider is a long enough ramp so that the bike doesn't bottom out on the tailgate, yet be portable enough to carry come time to unload the bike.
Thoughts . . ?

Old 03-21-2005, 07:26 PM
i put my 600lb vmax in the back, had to put it in sideways because of the 6.5' bed. the rear tire would actually stay in the bed straight in but the back of the tire wouldn't let the tailgate close. i choose a tri fold aluminum ramp that i could put in the bed......the angle was to sharp at the top and my pipes (aftermarket full exhaust), would hit at the top.....i took the ramps and bought another less expensive set and have them overlapped about 30" or so with the extension now about 30" also....this changed the angle. have not tried them out yet, will pickup bike this coming week. i should mention that i put in carriage bolts with washers top and bottom with wing nuts for easy uninstall if you will. i need to be able to put the whole thing in the back with my bike. also have the overlaps filled with 2X2 lumber and put on a foot in the middle that will let the ramps actually move (flex) a few inches before resting on the foot......hope this makes sense and help......

Old 03-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanx for that !
I'm beginning to wish I had a Scab instead of the Screw cos my Kaw Nomad rear tire would have to rest of the tailgate.
Are you able to push your bike up the ramp or do you trust yourself to ride it up.
My Nad is too heavy to push, so I was thinking of installing a winch at the front of the truck bed and haul it up. Still need a ramp long and sturdy enough to get it over the hump and be portable to take with you.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:54 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about a small utility trailer which would cost about the same as a winch? The Harbor Freight foldup one would be fine, but small tires means you'll want to keep the highway speed down.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:37 AM

Quick Reply: Hauling a motorcycle