Towing & Hauling

Trany acted a little strange (?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trany acted a little strange (?)

I was towing my trailer home from the campgrounds yesterday and when I pulled off the freeway onto the city streets the trany acted a little strange when I pulled away from stopsigns in town. It was almost like it was slipping in low gear. It may have been just fan noise but the RPMs (fan) came way up and it didn't feel like it was pulling as well as it should until it got to about ten MPH and then it got quieter and pulled normaly. By the time I got home (maybe half a doz stopsigns) it was almost back to normal. Hasn't happened before. Outside temp was was 85 and I was running 70 in third on the freeway as I normally do. I'm only pulling about 75% of my GCVW and well under my 8800 lb. towing max. The truck has just under 20,000 miles. I have the 7700 with the 4R100 trany and trany cooler. I can't imagine it getting hot enough to slip just running down the freeway. Has this ever happened to anyone else. I plan on taking it in and having the fliud changed before I tow again.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like it was just the fan clutch engaging because it probably was running a tad warm....

The hottest my truck gets is when I pull off the freeway and going through the neighborhood to get home....

I've got aftermarket temp gauges for the water and trans and they will all be fine while cruising on the highway.... Pull off and get to that first stop light and both temps will go to 210* for a little bit. While I'm at the stop light, I'll put it in N and then run the rpms up to around 1000. I'll hear my fan clutch engage and it pulls a lot of air through the rad!! It'll roar, but the temps go down really fast.....

The other thing is all that stop and go driving never really allows the TC to lock, so the trans temp will go back up to the 210* range before I get home..... I'll pull up in front and park on the street and let the truck idle there while I take the WD bars off before I park it. By the time I'm ready to back it in, the trans temp is usually back down to 180* or so and I use 4lo to back it in so it doesn't get hot all over again!

After that initial heat up just after getting off the freeway, my water never goes over 195*, so the fan clutch does not engage like it does at 210*. Oh, guess where the stock gauge reads this whole time??? Right where it always does..... It never moves!

Good luck!

Mitch

Quick Reply: Trany acted a little strange (?)