Towing & Hauling

F150 vs. F250 GCWR for Trailer Towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andersww
I was looking for advice on this forum regarding pulling a fifth wheel trailer with my 2005 F150 Lariat 5'6" bed. The trailer is a 32 ft, older trailer that weighs 3750 Kg dry. Did a lot of research and reading up on hitches, and the only hitch that may work is the 12K Pullrite Autoslide. After doing my homework, I just bought a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 5.9 to pull it. Sorry Ford guys, but the powerstroke is WAY to unreliable to haul anything. I dont need a broke down Ford diesel to spoil my vacations. The Dodge service trucks I ran for years got twice the fuel mileage as the Ford F550's we now run at work, and both trucks were within 100 lbs of each other. We were running 6.0, 6.4, and 7.3 diesels in our service trucks, and after MANY tow bills, we have decided to replace the fords with Petrbilts. Running costs FAR out way the extra cost of the truck. By the way, the Duramax was in the same boat as the Powerstroke. Not reliable enough for me.
Enjoy putting transmissions in that dodge. At least you got a proper tow vehicle for that trailer

Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You could have gotten a Ford Super Duty with the gas V-10.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by glc
You could have gotten a Ford Super Duty with the gas V-10.
If I owned an oil company, the V10 would be an option. But seeing how I am a working stiff, getting a V10 would negate the need for a fifth wheel. It would cost to much to pull a trailer and then the fifth wheel would just sit in the driveway. Would cost WAY to much money to run, hence the Cummins. More reliable and a LOT less money to run. Now if Ford every puts the Cummins in the Ford chassis, I might go back to Ford, but as long as they have the Powerjoke, Ford is out of the picture. Just a few weeks ago, a co-worker went away for the long weekend in his Powerjoke, and a $1500 tow bill later, he and his fifth wheel made it home. Camped on the side of the highway(second time this has happened to him). He too just ordered a Dodge last week.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 PM
glc
I dunno about where you are, but here diesel fuel costs more than premium gas. The V-10 definitely sucks gas unloaded, but it doesn't drop that much when you tow. I have a friend who had a V-10 Excursion, it used to get about 9 mpg towing a tall boxy 7000# bumper pull. That's no worse than people who have F-150's with a 5.4 get towing the same type of rig.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM
If I owned an oil company, the V10 would be an option. But seeing how I am a working stiff, getting a V10 would negate the need for a fifth wheel. It would cost to much to pull a trailer and then the fifth wheel would just sit in the driveway. Would cost WAY to much money to run, hence the Cummins. More reliable and a LOT less money to run. Now if Ford every puts the Cummins in the Ford chassis, I might go back to Ford, but as long as they have the Powerjoke, Ford is out of the picture. Just a few weeks ago, a co-worker went away for the long weekend in his Powerjoke, and a $1500 tow bill later, he and his fifth wheel made it home. Camped on the side of the highway(second time this has happened to him). He too just ordered a Dodge last week.
Dude i know plenty of people that have gone through cummins engines faster than i go through socks. This guy also went through transmissions just as fast. Enjoy your dodge. Everyone has their own opionon. Don't think coming onto a ford forum and talkin smack about how bad you think they suck makes you any more of a man. All of us take good care of our ford trucks and they last for a long time. Im sorry you have had bad luck with your companies ford trucks.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:59 PM
I was looking for advice on this forum regarding pulling a fifth wheel trailer with my 2005 F150 Lariat 5'6" bed. The trailer is a 32 ft, older trailer that weighs 3750 Kg dry. Did a lot of research and reading up on hitches, and the only hitch that may work is the 12K Pullrite Autoslide. After doing my homework, I just bought a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 5.9 to pull it. Sorry Ford guys, but the powerstroke is WAY to unreliable to haul anything. I dont need a broke down Ford diesel to spoil my vacations. The Dodge service trucks I ran for years got twice the fuel mileage as the Ford F550's we now run at work, and both trucks were within 100 lbs of each other. We were running 6.0, 6.4, and 7.3 diesels in our service trucks, and after MANY tow bills, we have decided to replace the fords with Petrbilts. Running costs FAR out way the extra cost of the truck. By the way, the Duramax was in the same boat as the Powerstroke. Not reliable enough for me.
The cummins is a fine engine. The 6.7 Ford may have finally got it right. It will take a few more years to be sure.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM
I thought about the 6.7, but one of our contractors has one, and it too is having its issues. But on the other hand, it's the first year out that he has, so I can't say it is bad or good. Just to early for me to invest in a new engine model.

To Alexcngford, who says i am talking smack about the Ford diesel. Truth is not smack. I have to sign off on the PO's for towing and repairs where I work, so I do know the costs of towing and the repairs. And for the remaining three fords we have, you could not afford the repairs over the past two years(low six figures). Any engine that is abused will not last, but if it is looked after, guess which engine will outlast the other. Truth be told, I can blow up any engine if I really wanted to, just by driving the @^$( out of it, even a 2000 HP Cat engine in a mining truck. So there you go.

And to canadian_screw , goggle ford F250 transmission problems. You might find some very interesting reading. I stopped looking after page eight. I have done my research and even though I am not the biggest Dodge fan, it is the one that will fit me the best. Sorry Ford came in a distant third,even behind GM.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 PM
glc
I can understand it if you were having problems with the 6.0 and 6.4, but not the 7.3. However, the 4R100 behind the 7.3 wasn't very good.

I'll take a 7.3 with a ZF manual in a heartbeat.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:25 PM
I like the ford cabs for comfort. BTW my trailer is only 3175 KG. As far as their diesel engines, going to have to pass right now. I worked with a guy a few years ago that put an old 12 valve cummins in a mid eighties F250, and it worked sweet.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I have been pretty happy with my 6.0 since the emissions crap fell off when I hit a big pot hole and now that it's got a tune in it. Other than a mystery vibrations that just showed up it's been a good truck and just rolled over to 170,000 miles on the stock driveline except for U-Joints and front axle joints. And the only thing that really just flat out broke and quit working was the FICM and I am pretty sure the one bad battery the truck had was the cause of that one. I love the Cummins engine I just can't stand the wrapper it comes in and if this one ever melts down or quits I may stuff a 5.9 or 6.7 in this one and keep on trucking.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Good choice on the Cummins. From what ym dad says on his Dodge ram forum. Cummins forum, the tranny's are strong in stock form. Add a chip and you start to lose reliability. Let's get some pics and specs. Is it a common rail?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Alexcngford
Dude i know plenty of people that have gone through cummins engines faster than i go through socks. This guy also went through transmissions just as fast. Enjoy your dodge. Everyone has their own opionon. Don't think coming onto a ford forum and talkin smack about how bad you think they suck makes you any more of a man. All of us take good care of our ford trucks and they last for a long time. Im sorry you have had bad luck with your companies ford trucks.
Sorry to hear you don't change your socks very often, but then again if you still use the word DUDE, that explains it all. As far as it making me more of a man, not sure where that came from, but then again, you use the word DUDE.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Can you post some pics of the truck? How are you liking it?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Sorry to hear you don't change your socks very often, but then again if you still use the word DUDE, that explains it all. As far as it making me more of a man, not sure where that came from, but then again, you use the word DUDE.
hahaha. obviously you don't understand things unless they are pointed out to you very clearly. Yes I used the word dude because you seem like a person with no intellect so I felt the need to dumb things down for you.

Go enjoy your dodge DUDE!!!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
I have a friend who had a V-10 Excursion, it used to get about 9 mpg towing a tall boxy 7000# bumper pull. That's no worse than people who have F-150's with a 5.4 get towing the same type of rig.
Your right, the 5.4L/6 speed trans will get about 9 mpg pulling that and about 15 mpg in town driving and about 19 mpg with expressway driving.

The difference is that V10 will get the same 9 mpg driving in town without towing as it does towing. Then it will only see about 14 mpg on the expressway.

I've heard complaints from many with their diesel setups. I would not want a diesel for a recreational truck, a work truck YES, not a recreational truck. I think the V10 or 6.2L V8 can be a great engine for recreation. The gas you pay out will take years to make up the $8000 you saved by not getting a diesel and the maintenance costs.

Even with the Diesels or V10/6.2L V8, you won't want to drive them as an everyday vehicle because of the lower mileage and fuel costs. Diesel fuel is higher than premium 93 octane gas by about $.70 (or $.90 more than 87 octane), then along with the Urea costs, it's still going to cost a lot to commute. Then again if you have the disposable income to buy huge boats and 5th wheels that require the need of these engines, the operation costs should be a drop in the bucket.

Last edited by Mike Up; 10-18-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Quick Reply: F150 vs. F250 GCWR for Trailer Towing