Sync 4.6 update fail

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sync 4.6 update fail

I've been trying, without success, to update from Sync 4.4 to Sync 4.6 in my 2011 FX4.

I have downloaded and extracted the files to a newly FAT32 formatted 8GB USB drive.

I have followed the directions on the owner.ford.com website and when I get to step 11 and Press OK to confirm, nothing happens.

The website says:
SYNC displays “Installing Application” during the process. Do not remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle while this update is in progress. Shortly after installation has begun, SYNC says “Your download is in progress and the system may reboot several times during the update. Please wait up to 10 min until you hear your SYNC system update was completed. You may then use SYNC.” Ignore this message. It refers to a specific phase of the installation, not the overall update process. While the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device.

Sync never says anything. I have an led on my USB drive that lights up when the drive is being accessed and it never shows any activity.

I've tried downloading with different browsers and using different USB drives. I've done the Master Reset and tried installing. I've run the vehicle history report as well. No joy.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this update installed short of going to the dealer?

Thanks.

Dave

Old 11-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I managed to get Sync 4.6 installed. I had to remove the header from the install.lst file and it worked.