Sync is scaring me away from ford

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync is scaring me away from ford

Hey gang, I test drove a new f150 stx with sync and was seriously considering it, but my research has shown that the sync system is very problematic. The particular truck I was considering is a 2013 without navi or touch screen but it had the sync/microsoft logo next to th usb port.

Should I pass on this truck until Ford works out the bugs? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Desmoface1
Hey gang, I test drove a new f150 stx with sync and was seriously considering it, but my research has shown that the sync system is very problematic. The particular truck I was considering is a 2013 without navi or touch screen but it had the sync/microsoft logo next to th usb port.

Should I pass on this truck until Ford works out the bugs? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve
sync works fine for me.. If you dont like it then get a 2008 or below f150

Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Works good, lasts long time.

Steve

Old 06-29-2013, 10:16 PM
I've had a 2013 with Sync/My Ford Touch for about 6 weeks now. There is a lot of stuff to learn and I'm gradually coming along. My wife's vehicle is a 2008 Navigator with SYNC.

The only issue I've experienced on my truck and it's more of an irritation than a pain, is from time to time it will want to re-index the music files that I have stored on a flash drive plugged into the USB port. It only takes a few moments, however and all is well after that.

One thing my wife's Navigator does that I wish my F 150 would do is this, and it's a little hard to explain. Her iPhone is the defaul phone in her vehicle and my iPhone is the default phone in my F 150. If I drive her vehicle away from home (meaning her phone is at home), I'll hear a message saying "Phone disconnected". But if I forget my phone at home and drive my truck away, I do not get the same message. That "Phone disconnected" message can be helpful as it pretty much says "Hey you left a phone at home, did you mean to?"

Old 06-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Hi OFD8001, I'm not having any issues so far. I only have the regular sync. So far so good. Thanks for the reply.

Steve

Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 AM
I have had no problems. I think a lot of the problems reported are due to the fact that people do not take the time to learn their phones and the SYNC system. Another thing I have found is for a lot of people if a system doesn't have the exact interface as their iphone it's automatically junk and they will complain about it non stop.

I'm not saying that there are no legitimate problems that people run into with SYNC. But I think the vast majority could be alleviated by taking the time to learn your phone and SYNC.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a salesman for almost a year (and missing SYNC by a year in my own truck), I will say there is a learning curve attached to SYNC, but if your salesperson goes over it at time of delivery, directs you to syncmyride.com, and after browsing the owner's manual, I'd say you should be good to go. I LOVE MyFord Touch with SYNC--works MUCH better than my Mom's 2012 300 with UConnect, and the interface is a great deal more intuitive.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
No problems with my 2011

Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
never had any issues with sync in my sport trac....just read the instructions and got familiar with the system....

its a good idea also to check phone compatibility with it....it seems phones are always ahead of automotive technology...

Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Desmoface1
what research did you do???

The base sync system is very robust and I have not heard many complaints about it. My wife's 2010 escape has it and my 2012 F150 has it. We haven't had any problems.

The only real complaints I've heard have been from the "My Ford Touch" system that is very different from the base Sync system. Are you sure you are not confusing those 2???

Old 07-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by OFD8001

One thing my wife's Navigator does that I wish my F 150 would do is this, and it's a little hard to explain. Her iPhone is the defaul phone in her vehicle and my iPhone is the default phone in my F 150. If I drive her vehicle away from home (meaning her phone is at home), I'll hear a message saying "Phone disconnected". But if I forget my phone at home and drive my truck away, I do not get the same message. That "Phone disconnected" message can be helpful as it pretty much says "Hey you left a phone at home, did you mean to?"
Hmmm thats strange. My 2011 will say phone disconnected if I drive off w/ out my phone. Maybe its a setting you can change?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AKAO1029
Hmmm thats strange. My 2011 will say phone disconnected if I drive off w/ out my phone. Maybe its a setting you can change?
same here.. I seem to forget my phone quite often but it always tells me phone disconnected.. then i jump out and grab my phone.. Pretty nice that my truck reminds me to get the damn thing..

Old 08-07-2013, 09:27 AM
The sync system in the 2013 non nav system with the little 4 inch screen is crap if you are trying to use an ipod with it. It will sync with an iphone okay, but try using the usb port to run an ipod with about 24gigs of music on it, and it will fall flat on its face. It can't do it, and Ford doesn't care. I have had two 2013s with the same system, and it won't work. They even changed the computer in one of them and it still doesn't work. Whats so dumb, is that my 2010 did a much better job playing music.
I found out that they changed computers in these trucks for 2013 to a much slower and cheaper computer, and it can't run the ipods. Its ridiculous.
Ford doesn't want to admit they screwed up. They just blame it on the ipod and drop it.
The service man at the dealer did tell me that they are having a huge issue with the new systems and people are complaining.
If all you are going to do is use it for just blue tooth, then you will probably be fine. If you want to play music on it, forget it.
The older trucks had better systems in them, than the new ones.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Yep, 2010 basic SYNC and I have no issues other than my GS3 isn't compatible with hands free text over SYNC...but not a deal breaker for me since no one texts me anyway!

Old 08-12-2013, 06:49 PM
2010 FX4 with the base Sync and zero issues. I have found that many times "problems" get inflated over the internet.

Quick Reply: Sync is scaring me away from ford