Noises when turning or sus. flexes

Old 11-11-2002, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noises when turning or sus. flexes

My truck is a 2002 f150 supercab xlt. the problem I have is when i turn it sounds like there is something rolling around in the bed. It also makes the noise when the suspension flexes...like when going up a hill on an angle or into a small ditch. I cannot figure out where it is coming from. If i jump up and down on the bed there is no noise ... i have looked at the exhaust hangers(fine) and the tailgate(fine). All ideas are appreciated!

thanks
dennis

Old 11-11-2002, 06:59 PM
does it do when you turn the wheel sitting still?

Old 11-12-2002, 09:42 AM
More than likely, you have a broken body mount. When you turn and go up a hill or down a hill at an angle, you probably hear a snap or pop sound.

Old 11-12-2002, 10:16 AM
Thanks for both your responses. It does not make the noise when sitting still and turning the wheel. Also, the sound is not really a pop.....Imagine having a bucket or something round in the bed and not tied down. everytime you turn one way you can hear it roll to the other side of the bed. when i turn the other way it is as though it is rolling back to the other side. Any more ideas ??? I will look into the body mounts.... is there a torque spec. for those??

thanks
Dennis

Old 11-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Okay before you start laughing hear me out. My friend gary had a 93 f-150 with a piece of chain in the body from the factory. He pulled off his door panel to replace speakers, and found a 3 ft length of chain. Also at one service station I worked at we found a resin covered rag inside a factory installed wheel/tire. I know that these are 1 in a 1000, but who knows?

Old 11-13-2002, 10:26 AM
That isn't a bad idea. I could see something like a chain make that type of noise. I guess I will have to take it into service and see what they find as the culprit.

thanks
Dennis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noises when turning or sus. flexes