What Do I Do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Do I Do?

Hey guys,
I have a 01 f150 with the offroad package, and I am very content with it. What I am wanting to do is change my wheels to the new FX4 wheels and I am also wanting to put the rancho shocks on as well. My problem is this: I want to get the shocks from a ford dealer, I am very big on keeping some things stock on my truck. I was also told that if I purchase a regular pair of rancho shocks like the 5000 or the 9000, that it might alter the height of my truck. I like the overall stance of the truck and don't want to sacrafice that. My question is, have any of you guys made this mod and is there a part # or something that I can go by to help my cause. Thanks alot.

Old 11-08-2002, 04:09 PM
fordman088,

Do a search on FX4* I remember reading some things about the suspension and shocks. They are made by Rancho, but definately less in quality than the RSX or the 9000's, but above the 5000's. Don't know if that's true or not.

I would doubt you'd have any appreciable change in stance by going to the RSX's or 9000's. As long as you got the appropriate shock for either 2WD or 4WD. I got my RSX's put on at lunch today. Only drove 1/2 mile back to the plant, but I can tell an improvement already. No more leaning into a turn, hopping over the speed bump at the entrance, or diving when I brake.

If you want the ability to dial in a setting go with the 9000's. If you don't need that cpability, the RSX's are a fine choice.

John

Old 11-08-2002, 07:36 PM
The new FX4 Ford use Rancho 5000's from the factory. Shocks do not affect heigth in any way, all they do is dampen the suspension, and changing them will not affect warranty in any way I would not waste extra money buying the shocks from the dealer, they will charge you quite a bit more than what you could get them for mail order. I would recommend the 9000's, which is what I run, or even the RSX's. The 5000's are also fine but are kind of stiff in my opinion.

Scott