New Shock Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Shock Install

Ok I have a 4X2 with 76000 miles on it I went today and ordered 2 Rancho RS5000 for the front. What I want to know is what tools I'll need and if anyone has any tips they'd like to pass along as I've never done any suspension work in my life and don't know anyone who has. I figured I'd start with the 2 in the front as they look easier to get at than the rears. If they go well then i'll do the rear a few weeks later, If they are a royal pain in the @ss then I'll find someone to put the rears in for me. Any advice would be appreciated, they are due in on wednesday.

Old 10-13-2002, 09:29 PM
Smile WRONG!!!

Hey ..............you picked the wrong end. Rears are definiately the cake here. Oh well........pretty easy anyway...just alittle tighter......soap the bushings and pound them in with a block and hammer. See.......it's simple. That's the hardest part. I did all 4 of mine with a flash light in about an hour........couldn't wait GOOD LUCK!

Old 10-13-2002, 10:50 PM
I thought the rear would be harder to get to the nut on the top of the shock being under neath the bed.

Old 10-14-2002, 12:33 PM
Tools Required

If you have an AutoZone in your area (you can search at AutoZone.com), they have a loan-a-tool program. You give them a (fully refundable) deposit of $40 or so, depending on the tool. Then they let you borrow the tools necessary to do your job. You get all your money back when you return the tool. A lot easier than using a hammer and block.

Good luck.

Old 10-14-2002, 12:52 PM
So what tool would i be looking for instead of using a hammer and a block

Old 10-14-2002, 01:18 PM
Man, you F150 guys must have it tough when it comes to shock changes! I think it took me about 30 minutes and a couple of wrenches to change out all four of mine on my SD. Guess it is all that extra room in the wheel wells and stuff.

Old 10-14-2002, 01:22 PM
Thanks I'll keep that in mind if i ever need a SD

Old 10-14-2002, 05:05 PM
What tool?

The tool you need is a shock compressor. Just go to AutoZone (or I think Pep Boys also does it) and tell them what you're doing. They'll know what tool you need.

Old 10-14-2002, 05:37 PM
speedy -

Relax man - I was just pulling your chain a little bit is all. Seriously though - unless the setup on your 150 is drastically different from my 250, I don't see you needing any special tools. If you do a search in this forum for "shock install" you will get several hits, including;

this one

this one

this one

and this one.

Perhaps one of those will give you the information that you need.

Old 10-14-2002, 05:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Hammers and blocks? Soaping bushings? Shock compressors??? What the hell are you guys talking about??? Cut the guy some slack!, lol! I don't remember exactly what sizes of sockets are needed, but most of them come in any decent socket set. The top original shock nuts are HUGE though, and I had to buy a 20 or 21 mm wrench to fit those. I'm not sure if there are any differences between 4x2's with the towing pkg. or not.,,,,98

Old 10-14-2002, 05:54 PM
i thought it was 18MM but not sure. Changing shocks is not that hard. I changed front and rear on my '99 that had been lowered 2/4. I don't remember any issues. You may get a cramp in your arm changing the rear but standard MM box end wrenchs are all you need. No compressors or blocks.

Old 10-14-2002, 06:04 PM
ucfperspicere: Block and hammer is to install the bushings

JDMnAR: Let's see how fast you do it with a flashlight

speedy46: All you'll need are some sockets and wrenchs..........you DONN"T need a spring compressor

Old 10-14-2002, 06:07 PM
98SCREAMER: My shocks did not have the bushings installed and would NOT go in dry......remember a little lube goes a long way

Old 10-14-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Yankee
JDMnAR: Let's see how fast you do it with a flashlight
Flashlight, hmmm? Didn't anyone ever teach you about using the right tools for the job - wrenches work WAAAAYYYYY better!

Old 10-14-2002, 06:59 PM
Cool

I had to install some Edelbrocks on mine. The fronts were a bitch to install due to the compression required to fit them. I used a strap to hold them compressed until in place. Released the strap and they went in fine. But the lower bolt was very hard to install. No hammer or Soap( not even johnson & Jonson Jelly) could help. I had to grind the shocks bushing to fit it. Once in place though the rest went pretty smooth. The rears are much easier because less compression was required and could use just my hands to compress it. The upper bolts are harder to reach but not impossible.

Quick Reply: New Shock Install