The Wife Does It Again

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The Wife Does It Again

Why is it when the wife wants to go shopping and she say's to me can I take the 4x4 for a spin, the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end?
This time as she was making a right hand turn to go into the market she said she heard something go bang, she didn't think to much of it until someone in the parking lot told her that the front end of the truck is hanging kind of low. So after phoning me and upon later inspection I find that the torsion bar on the drivers side was busted, up at the front nuckle about 2" back. I've never even heard of one of these things going, have any of you? I might see under heavy 4 wheelin' but not making a simple turn?
I certainly would like to know if it's a job for the backyard mech or should I check the recalls first, or is it strictly a dealership job???

Ya! I'm the guy who had to take a torch to get the front rotors off! the BFH didn't work.

Anything would be helpfull??

Old 09-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

There seemed to be a problem with the torsion bars on some trucks, and they were stress cracking and breaking. Oddly enough, most of them happened while parked in the driveway The owner would say they were sitinng at home watching TV, and they'd hear this loud bang. They would go outside, and the truck would be sitting low on one side. I've never heard of a recall or TSB for it though. Maybe some of the 4x4 guys can chime in here??,,,,98

Old 10-02-2002, 12:56 PM
kev
What year do you have? About a half dozen people have been on here through the past year or so saying they had this happen to their 98. It always broke while sitting though. They came out one morning and the truck was sitting in the driveway leaning over. I haven't heard of one person say that it broke when driving.

Also the one guy mentioned that his broke about 30 minutes after he changed his oil. That wouldn't have been good if he was laying under there.

Anyway Ford insists that they did not have a problem and says that there are not enough complaints to have a recall. I would call ford and place your name on the complaint list and maybe you can help save someones life in the future.

kev

Old 10-08-2002, 11:47 AM
Torsion Bar

My ford is a 97 XL 4x4 Ex-cab,

And yes I have checked around mechanics, dealerships, on-line and most have happened while just sitting.
I took my prob to a friend who owns a garage and he flatbeded the vehicle there, but first he had to wire up the broken torsion bar so it wouldn't fall during the ride.
Now up on the hoist we can easily see the break about 3' back of the front knuckle, and what a jagged break. To me it looks like a stress crack my mech friend said cheap inferior metal and that it should never of broke.
Thank goodness it didn't break on the hwy and let go, it must weigh at least 50lbs. It broke while making a right hand turn at the local A&P.
I'm going to see if I can get a picture of it and hopefully post it here if I can find out how?

Old 10-08-2002, 08:22 PM
My buddie's '98 also had a TB break. It was the passengers side and I'm not sure where it broke exactly. The only stress I know it was ever under is when he jumped a curb out of frustration. The front of his truck got air from popping the curb. Hehe he was always a little quick tempered. I always accounted the break to this, although the break happened 6mo. later. Now that I've heard others having this problem, Im not completely sure why it broke.

Anyhow he replaced it himself in under a couple hours, without a lift. He said it wasnt hard at all, and the cost was reasonable. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2002, 09:37 AM
Exclamation Torsion bar

I have reported the broken torsion bar to Ford of Canada, hopefully they will look into it.
Some of you out there mentioned adjusting the hieght of your front ends by tweaking the Torsion Bars, my mechanic said your better off bringing the truck hieght just to spec and then use shackles to raise or lower the vehicle's hieght.

Quick Reply: The Wife Does It Again