ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ball joints

Can anyone tell me how much play is acceptable in the ball joints on an '86 4x4 with TTB front suspension?
I have a 1986 F150 4x4. I just put 285/75/16 tires on it, replaced the steering linkage from the pitman arm out, replaced the front coils with Superlift 1 1/2" leveling coils and the shocks with 6 new KYB Gas Adjust Shocks.
The mechanic I normally use for repairs I don't want to tackle myself recommended the steering linkage replacement and an alignment.
The alignment shop, who I have never dealt with before, (I recently relocated), says I need my ball joints replaced. He demontrated approx. 1 16th" of play in the lower passenger side ball joint to justify this.
My regular mechanic says that up to 1/2" play is acceptable on a GM but he's not sure about a Ford, he also indicated that the alignment shop may be a little slow on business right now and looking for 'extra' work........
Any thoughts?

Old 09-23-2002, 01:46 AM
Oh, my God a 1/2 inch of play in balljoints... no way thats acceptable for any vehicle. Did he mena up and down or side to side. Basically they way I was told and the way I tell people is if you can visually see movement in the balljoint by using a small prybar then they are shot. To get technical I think the spec is 1-2 32nds, could be wrong and each manufacturer and vehicle is different.

Old 09-25-2002, 07:51 PM
I must assume the mechanic checked the wheel bearings for wear and proper preload before showing you the play at the bottom of the tire/wheel assembly?

Old 09-27-2002, 10:38 PM
Ford spec is .030" max. (1/32" = .031")

Btw - chev and dodge allow more I think they allow around .060"

since your truck is a 4x4 and they have to pull the axles out at the same time it would probably be a good time to replaced your hub dust seals and repack the bearings (4x4 hub service) , one would think that it wouldn't cost much more due to the fact they already would have it all apart anyways

You might also be able to get greasable balljoits aswell, if its a 86 with original balljoints you are probably due

Quick Reply: ball joints