installing a lift for the first time

Old 09-08-2002, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing a lift for the first time

Hey everyone,
i am planning on installing a lift on my truck, and sonce it will be the first time, i would like to get as much info in advance as possible. i will be putting the fabtech 6" on a 02 screw fx4. i will be able to buy all of the tools needed except a lift. i could possibly have access to a lift, but i would like to do the job at home if possible. any info yall can give me would be greatly appreciated. Examples would be, tools needed, potential problems, tricks that may make the install easier, etc.
thanks in advance
jesse

Old 09-08-2002, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only special tool you will need is a pitman arm puller to unload the tension from the torsion bars. Try your local auto parts stores

Old 09-10-2002, 09:20 PM
best tool you can have is another person there too. just in case you need a hand! dont forget about drop brackets and extended brake hoses, and all that minor crap that sometimes gets overlooked.
A great lift for that truck is the RCD or Fab-techs new one!

Old 09-13-2002, 03:02 PM
Can this be done without a lift? I want to do either a RCD 5" or Fabtech 6" lift on my 4x4. I was also wondering what is a good price on these kits? Anything additional I should know? Thanks.

Old 09-13-2002, 06:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best advice take your time and have fun doing it.

Old 09-14-2002, 10:34 AM
Finally, someone out there with ***** to install the fabtech 6" kit. I think fabtech is the highest quality of suspension kits out there. quarter inch thick bracketry can't cut you wrong. i was always a doubter of the 5" systems. i didn't know what that was about. are you gonna go with new torsion bars? i'll assume you're gonna put 35" tires on with your lift? If you go get a four wheeler magazine (Aug '02 I believe), there's an article that installs an 8" lift on a cheby 3/4 HD 4x4. That kit looked very similar to your ford kit. The only way to lift these IFS fords is to either replace the IFS with a solid axle (the most reliable, but hardest to return to stock), replace the knuckles (your kit, not the easiest, but better than dropped brackets), or using IFS system drop brackets. I can't tell you how to prepare to install one of these kits, cause I haven't done one yet. All I'm doing is reassuring you that you bought the right kit.

Old 09-14-2002, 09:23 PM
here what your truck would look like after the lift

my also is a 2002 fx4 stand 6'8" tall with 315/75/16 on 16x10 rims
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...gallery394.jpg

Last edited by hmiz; 09-15-2002 at 12:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: installing a lift for the first time