INPUT, please, on a 4inch Suspension Lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question INPUT, please, on a 4inch Suspension Lift

I have a 2001 F-150 SCrew Off-Road with the 17inch rims. I'm planning on installing a 4inch Rancho or Trailmaster suspension lift with 18inch Billet HP 35 rims. Tires are still undecided. Possibly Pro-Comp X-Terrain or BFG Mud-Terrians.

Does anyone have any Pos/Neg input concerning the Rancho/ Trailmaster brands?

What do I need to be concerned about with "backspacing" on the rims?

One of the things I don't want to end up doing is change my gear ratio. How big of a tire do you think I can get before I get into a gear ratio change?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Dudley

**2001 F-150 SCrew Lariat Off-Road**
Mods:
K&N FIPK
JBA Cat-Forward Headers
Borla Dual Exhaust
SuperChips

Old 07-28-2002, 05:48 AM
Well, What size tires does it come with stock? Usually its smart to change your gearing once you get to 35''. Personally, Id stay away from rancho. They are pretty, they work well, but theyre not worth the extra money. Trailmaster is an old and trusted company, too. They make some badass kits for ford trucks, and thats who Id suggest goin to.

Old 08-09-2002, 11:59 PM
i'm running 33x12.5x17 right now on my stock rims, and.....they rub in a hard turn, but not too bad The plus is that with 33's there is little to no drop in performance. about the 18" rims, if you intend on doing any offroading I would decide against those and stick with a 16 or the old 15" standby, you loose too much needed rubber with the larger rims and the cost for larger tires for even larger rims can be mind boggling. If you decide on 35's ir so I would suggest between 2-3/4 and 3-1/4 backspacing. it should give you all the clearance you need while still keeping a good stance. And too some extent I agree with Goober, although rancho makes a good kit it is overpriced. And I have also heard some not so fortunate reviews regarding the Trailmaste kit either. Hope this helps

Old 08-11-2002, 08:07 AM
Rancho like the previous post stated is over priced and it wears out in 2 - 3 years......all the bushings rot out, and Trail master uses ball joint spacers, not good on the suspension, i would reccomend Pro-Comp for the lift...they make a 4' lift and its comparribly priced to the rancho and trail"disaster"master and its black so it blends in with the rest of the frame.....but they have chrome lettering on the torsion bar drop bracket.looks sweet....thats the lift i would get.....but money is tight....need to sell my motorcycle to do it....Pro-Comp thats it Pete

99 ORP Supercab F-150 4x4
4.6L 5 Speed
Superchip
K+N Gen 2 FIPK
Dual Flowmaster Series 50 exhaust
Mobil 1 synthetic

Old 08-11-2002, 03:54 PM
i just got the rancho. i'm putting it on monday. there are no bushings. so if there are any wearing out. its all factory. i know that the trail masters kits are allways at the shop getting the ball joints replaced. but it could be just because they are so cheap everyone has one. so there are more out there. kits side by side. i would not go with the trail master. just a kit that does not use those spacers. like trail master. as for cost, i thought they all were close. guess i should check again. i liked the fab tech. i just didnt want to go with 6inch lift. so i went with rancho. heck maybe by monday night i'll feel differant about it. hehe. good luck on your choice. and if you get a chance look at the kits on the truck if you can. mostly steering components and take a look at the trail master spacers. thats how i made my diss. good luck. hey they all work.

Old 08-13-2002, 02:08 AM
well i allmost got the lift done. the back is done. and i'm close on the front. i did find one thing. my FX4 shocks are the same lenght as the one that came with the kit. diff size pistons. but the ones i took off seemed to be gas charged. oh well, it's loooking good. will look better when done i'm sure. but what the hey. all f150s look good, up or down. hehe

Old 08-13-2002, 09:42 AM
Wino:
I'm anxious to hear how your install went. I'm going to be putting a Ranch on my 97.

Trending Topics

Old 08-16-2002, 04:34 AM
install went fine. 4" rancho. 33-12.50 godyear mtr. with a eagle 16X10 wheel. so really the tire is a 305/70/16. but has the same spec's as 33. had to trim plastic valence about 2inches. would rub backing up turning. the kit was great. had it aligned today. was parfect. no adjustment needed. sterring wheel off center slightly. no prob. front end guy couldnt believe it. it is alot of work. but what a nice look. i wish i knew how to up load pic's. i have 3:55 gears. you loose a little power. but no big deal. the truck look's great. going hunting this weekend. so i'll get to try it out off road. and going up hill's. but i love it. it's a whole new truck.

Old 08-16-2002, 06:18 AM
Wino,
I only have one question. How did you rub with 305/70/16 with a 4 inch lift when I can clear that and darn near a 36" tire on mine with a 5" lift. Just wanting to make sure everything is kosher. You should have cleared those easy with no trimming at all. I rub myself, but just due to the backspacing of my stock rims.

Old 08-16-2002, 11:58 PM
My Screw doesn't rub at all with Goodyear 305/70-16's on the stock suspension (4x4).

Old 08-18-2002, 11:49 PM
i had to trim about an inch off the lower valance. not sure why your does not rub. i looked at a few at my local ford dealer that they did. and i saw no trimming of the valance. but again not sure. had it aligned at dealer. and all was good. thanks for your concern. trust me, i will be keeping a close eye on eaverything. it was rubbing when in and out of driveways and backing up turnning. it was not very much. but it did rub. i took it up this weekend. no troubles at all. had it in some tight bind's. not as bad as i will have it later. but this is the first time up. so taking it slow. worked great. no prob's will climb under tomarrow and double check everything. it was our first weekend of hunting. so i was busy doing other things. but did drag it over some rock's. just a mild run. thank's.

Quick Reply: INPUT, please, on a 4inch Suspension Lift