97 F150 camber kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 F150 camber kit

Does anybody know where I can purchase the camber kits needed to properly align the front end on my '97 F-150 S/C Lariat.

I cannot keep a front end underneath the front of this thing and do not want to spend $75.00 per side. I have seen that others have paid about $50.00 per side. Where in the world, or on the internet, can I find that price?

Thanks,
T

Old 11-08-2001, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can buy them at NAPA for I believe less than $20 per side.
Look at the Lightning section of this board. The part number was listed a couple of days ago.
Or, just go to a NAPA store and buy them.

Old 11-08-2001, 10:30 AM
Why would you need a camber kit? What purpose does it serve?
Are the trucks not alignable with out them from the factory?

Old 11-08-2001, 11:24 AM
At an Off Road shop here in San Diego, I remember paying about 60 bucks for the box which included the four bolts and eight eccentric washers. That takes care of both sides. Any shop in your area that installs lift kits have got to have them. Fabtech's website shows a part number FTS290 for their camber kit, but you'll have to call around retailers for a price.

Old 11-09-2001, 08:51 AM
jpkaiser,

I believe that they can be aligned from the factory until parts start aging. A frame guy told me that Ford developed the front end to be "zero" tolerance and maintenance free. Unfortunately, that has not been the case. I have had my 97 for five years now and have 88,000 miles on it. It seems that you cannot adjust for camber because there are not any adjustable control arms. I have been told that Ford corrected this for 99 and newer. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

What is happening to my truck is that no matter how many times I align the front end as instructed by Ford, the caster and camber are off and not adjustable. So I am destroying tires needlessly and Ford won't correct the problem for me. All they want to do is sell me these kits to correct the problem that they identified to me. No one can tell me why this has happened; except to suggest that maybe settling of the front end as the years go by make a complete front end alignment impossible.

My next truck will be a Super Duty. I think I'm done with these "car" front ends on a truck.

Thanks for the tip T Ellenberger and G Paticio.

T

Old 11-09-2001, 12:24 PM
From the factory, the camber is not adjustable. At the factory, they use shims to set it properly. Unfortunately, shims are not adjustable. So, to adjust the camber, a camber kit is needed that has the eccentric washers that are adjustable to replace the factory shims. At one point, it was common advice to everyone on the board to get their trucks aligned before going out of warranty, simply because if it was out of alignment, Ford provided the camber kit for free under warranty. Ford does this because it speeds up the line by eliminating a guy who has to adjust and readjust to make the camber correct. Unfortunately, it costs us money when the camber needs to be adjusted.

Short answer: Camber is adjustable. Just need the right replacement parts.

Last edited by gopher; 11-09-2001 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:35 PM
OK, so I went to NAPA. they have two different camber kits for the 97 F-150. One for 2.5 degrees adjustment and the other for 2.0 degrees adjustment.

Anyone know which I should buy? My hunch is the 2.5 for the obvious wider range of adjustment. But is there a solid reason to go with the 2.0?

Thanks,
T

Old 11-09-2001, 03:45 PM
Got mine from SEARS

Old 11-11-2001, 04:03 AM
All new Chev, Dodge and Fords come without...

I talked with several alignment guys and they all say the same thing: All the new cars and trucks come from the factory all set up on a lazer jig with shims for perfect alignment. It's another way to save money and time in manufacturing.

All alignment shops have the Caster/Camber Alignment Bolt Kits on hand...or they can get the proper kit delivered from a jobber within just minutes.

You don't need the C/C Adjustment Bolts until your truck requires alignment. Like after an accident or hitting something really hard.
Then, they can be easily installed. The alignment man removes the bolts in your upper control arms (two bolts on each arm) and replaces them with the eccentric adjustment bolts.

You can order the bolt kit from dozens of places. They are all aound $50 for the four bolts. But, the easy thing to do is just take your truck to your favorite alignment shop and let them install the bolts and align your front end.

BillVoyles

Old 11-12-2001, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My son in Austin, Texas was shocked when the shop wanted over $200 to align his big Chevy Suberban. It too came from the factory without the camber bolts. Buying the new parts the first time is hard on the wallet.

Old 11-12-2001, 01:20 PM
Thanks Bill for the info.

I am going to do just that and let my shop guys do the alignment. I have since discovered that the $75.00 per side included labor as well.

I do think that it is very crappy that the manufacturers expect us to have to pay to modify their product in order to keep using it. I have had 5 front end alignments in the last year and a half and NO accidents. I think its ridiculous.

Old 11-12-2001, 02:28 PM
I hope that if its been in five times, you've at least tried more than one shop! Especially if you are only asking about the camber bolts now! Hope you get you're problem fixed!

Old 11-12-2001, 04:59 PM
I just paid $240 for the camber kit and life time alignment (4 x's a year)

Quick Reply: 97 F150 camber kit