Need some leveling/shock suggestions please...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some leveling/shock suggestions please...

I just picked up a '98 RWD 4.2L, and need some suggestions on getting it leveled and the suspension fixed up a little, and some brakes. (I'm familiar with wrenching on cars, but have never owned a ford truck). It's got 160k on the odo, and it definitely rides like it...feels like a row boat in the ocean and takes a minor miracle to stop.

It's mostly just a secondary vehicle and for occasional trips to to the hardware store, so I don't need anything crazy. But I would like decent handling and to level it. I've read a lot of threads on shocks, etc, but they are all over the place and my old grey matter is getting overloaded. .

I have a running cart at rockauto (ignition so far), so any suggestions on what I need to add is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I like Monroe or KYB Airshocks. Or you can just OEM Motorcraft. Either ride good.

Brakes, I've used Wagners Thermo Quiets.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:34 PM
What do I need to do to drop the rear to level it? And does that change the shocks I need to buy from something other than OEM?

Old 12-31-2018, 09:30 PM
I'm with Calan, should we drop the rear end or raise the front end?
Are leveling kits for leveling the front of the truck to the back or to raise the rear when hauling a heavy load?

I just bought a 2010 Supercrew, is it possible this truck has an load leveling system that just needs to be lowered in the rear? If so what should I look for to determine this?
If not do I need to change the front shocks to raise the front end? This truck has 69k miles so they may need to be changed.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:43 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Leveling kits raise the front. The reason they have stock rake is for aerodynamics and so the front isn't pointing to the sky when loaded.

I'd recommend you keep it stock and just put some decent OEM quality shocks and premium brakes on it, check (replace as necessary) all the front end parts, and get it aligned. The front and rear brake setup on the 98 is just like an old school rear drive car with front discs and rear drums. Front suspension and steering is traditional coil spring and rack and pinion steering, no struts to deal with. Rear suspension is traditional leaf spring. If you have wrenched on older American cars, it should all look pretty familiar.

If you are buying ignition parts, you should stick with Motorcraft plugs and wires. No need to replace the coil unless it cracks, other than that they seem to last forever.

Quick Reply: Need some leveling/shock suggestions please...