Noise in front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Noise in front end

Originally Posted by Ford4ever
Ok this problem has been bugging me for 3 weeks. In fact i have used up my entire vocabulary of swear words.

When i am driving i get a metallic ringling, jingling type noise from my right front tire. It starts at about 30 miles an hour. All my lugnuts are tight, my centercap is tight. I originally thought it was the metal shield behind the rotor so i removed it. The noise is still there. I found that the lower nut on the coil spring was loose causing the washer to move around so i tightened it but it still did not solve the problem. I even checked the catalytic converter heat shield even though it's on the other side of the truck. What is making this noise?

It doesn't bother me since i can't hear it with the radio on anyways but people give me strange looks when i drive by.

-Jon
Hey Jon, I have a 2000 Ford F150 extended cab and have had the same sound coming from the rear of the truck. At first it wasn't something I noticed because when I bought the truck it was cold out. However as Spring and Summer came around I had all windows opened cause the a.c. unit locked up so had to be able breathe in the Arkansas hear. But I however at first thought that maybe there was possibly a chain or linkage cable under the bed that was stuck or broken. I crawled under and didn't find anything, even had several friends and even my dad look but they all said there wasn't anything. My father is who taught me to do my own work on all my vehicles. So when I took the road trip up to Indiana and had him crawl under with me to look and see if we could figure this annoying sound out and that I wasn't loosing my mind, after ruling out everything else, and aprox. 15 minutes into his overall look through, he turns to me and laughs. Then made me feel ABSOLUTELY stupid not meaning to mind you, however what he told me and showed me was underneath the bed is where the spare tire SHOULD AND MOST OFTEN IS LOCATED. Mine wasn't however. The car lot I bought it from failed to replace it. So the bracket that holds the tire was rattling around and once we put the spare back under there as it SHOULD'VE BEEN, the metallic jingle, chain rattling, link rattle or whatever you may call it, IMMEDIATELY QUIT and instantly I knew then I wasn't going crazy. Lol so you may want to also look into that. Thanks, Angel Kolstedt

Old 03-09-2017, 12:53 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I moved your post to a new thread. The one you found and posted on was from 2001

Quick Reply: Noise in front end