Droppin the Harley

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Droppin the Harley

Ok..so ive looked at the SoCal kit and its insanely expensive ~$800 dollars~ and ive looked at the BellTech kit which is less than half the price but seem to have a problem with the Harley F150 and not getting along with driveshafts very well.

I have heard from 2 people now that have had driveshafts bent after installing this kit.

Is this due to a bad installation? Defect in the kit since the harley truck is already lower than a stock F150 but Belltech just makes an F150 drop kit?

Does anyone have any other options for lowering the HD truck to have only 1" of fender clearance?

TIA

Brian

Old 08-23-2001, 02:46 AM
I have had my Bellltech drop for about a month now with NO problems! But then I do have a regular cab The Belltech comes with axel shims to correct the driveshaft angle after lowering, maybe those other guys didn't put those in! Or you could look into Western Chassis drop kits http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/

Old 08-23-2001, 12:48 PM
I have the Bell TEch 3/4 lowering kit in my 00 HD Ford, and was one of those that had to replace a bent drive shaft. After another company corrected the "angle" with an axle shim, I have not had any other problems, except for the "rough" ride. I have had one quote for approx $5000.00 for a "top" 4 link air system, and am now looking into the possibility of "C" notching the frame.
Would appreciate any comments from anyone who has had either of the above work done.

Old 08-23-2001, 01:56 PM
So the original install of the Bell Tech kit was done improperly?

Well if thats the case then that sheds a new light on the subject

Ill check out the wester chassis kit too. Thanks for your input.

Old 08-23-2001, 03:25 PM
i dont personally have any experience with dropping the full size fords, but i do have some experience in lowering trucks...most reputable manufacturer's put shims in the lowering kits once they reach a certain drop...the purpose of the shims is to correct the angle of the driveshaft...the only thing that should happen if you dont have the shims in would be a vibration...

as far as the lowering kit goes, if the HD is lowered 1" from the factory, and you put a 4" lowering kit on it, the truck will still be lowered 4", not 5"...the lowering kit would be a 4" drop from the factory height...

dont know if this will help any or not...

scott

Old 08-23-2001, 05:28 PM
Ahh..that does clear some things up.

This also makes me wonder whats so special about the SoCal kit for the HD F150?

Ohwell, Guess ill go with the belltech.

Old 08-25-2001, 03:22 AM
No, the HD 1" is lowered with springs.
Add a drop spindle of 4", that make 5"

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2001, 02:23 PM
No, the HD 1" is lowered with springs.
i didnt realize that they were lowered using springs...you are right in that case...sorry about that...

Old 09-13-2001, 01:56 AM
Wow, 5,000 grand for a airbag setup. do what i would do if someone qouted me 5 grand for a airbag set up. SMACK THEM IN THE HEAD! and if you even think about it, smack your self.
Airbag setup for a ford is quite expensive, and you have alot of work ahead of ya, but if its anybody who knows what they are doing, then you wouldnt pay more then 3k. i got a full setup for 3k, bags, 2 100% runtime compressors, 1/2inch lines, all 9 switches mounted in a Playstation remote control, 2 link (got 2 link over 4 so i could do side to side better) for just under 3k.

also, if you go as low as i have, you will have to notch the frame. (i went 6 inches) you will have to **** with the Tranmission mount ( you will drag it lots and often, i already broke mine 3 times) and you will have to notch the bed frame rail in the middle if you want to ride all the way down cause your drive train will rub.

so what have we learned?

Drops good, Bags better
draggin ground makes neats sparks but your transmission bracket suffers
if your going fast enough and low enough, you can scrape up reflectors in the middle of the road
always ride with your front end up if you dont have spindles cause you will wear the inside of your tires out (ouch there goes a new set of yokahamas)
if your bed rail frame is not notched, dont ride all the way down cause you will totally tear your driveshaft to peices and it makes a really funky noise.
Chicks dig stuff low to the ground.

Quick Reply: Droppin the Harley