Oem type shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oem type shocks

I'm at 50k miles, the truck still rides very smooth, but I know it's definitely time for shocks. That said, I want some shocks that ride just like the OE ones on there now. Should I just go though tasca or does anyone have any recommendations? I do not need 5100 and I know everyone loves them. Also, any complete coil overs for the front? It would be much easier to change the shocks that way. I found some links to some Monroe complete coil overs, but I lost my laptop and only have my iPhone for the time being. I can't seem to find them now. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2846481

Just bought these. Dont know anything about them. Hopefully they work out well. Will let you know once they ship out and I install them.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
I have rancho 5000's on the rear with the quicklifts up front. I got a good price on them through streetsideauto.com. I am really happy with them so far. Just look around for online coupon codes if you buy from them. But for an OEM style replacement several of the guys I work with have went with Gabriel Ultra's on different trucks and so far all have been pleased with the results.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor
KYB's are a nice, inexpensive replacement shock.

http://www.ajusa.com/browse/brand/KYB

Old 06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
I'm at 50k miles, the truck still rides very smooth, but I know it's definitely time for shocks. That said, I want some shocks that ride just like the OE ones on there now. Should I just go though tasca or does anyone have any recommendations? I do not need 5100 and I know everyone loves them. Also, any complete coil overs for the front? It would be much easier to change the shocks that way. I found some links to some Monroe complete coil overs, but I lost my laptop and only have my iPhone for the time being. I can't seem to find them now. Thanks!
Shock Recommendations IMHO:

1) Koni- Excellent for racing applications- overpriced for street applications
2) Tokico, QA1 & Bilstein- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street (such as Bridgstone that are 100% steel belted or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability
3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street, these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-G’s (formerly GR-2) are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2’s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.. Best shock for the $/best price typically found at Performance Suspension Technologies (PST) and typically about 1/3 less than Bilstein.
4) Gabriel- A very nice good quality HD OEM replacement type unit.

Quick Reply: Oem type shocks