leveling kit and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leveling kit and shocks

My 99 4x4 has 285 75 17's and I'm looking to raise it slightly.just a leveling kit. wondering if you guys can post some pics. I'm also looking to replace the shocks kinda actually wanting to go with some stock fx4 shocks but I cant remember who makes them any opinions are appreciated.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, you don't need a leveling kit because your ride height is adjustable via the preload on the torsion bars. The "leveling kits" for your truck are just reindexed torsion bar adjustment keys. The problem is they allow you to put way, way too much preload on the bars. Just crank up the torsion bars enough to level the truck.
As for shocks, just about any aftermarket shock will be better than your OEM shocks. The OEM FX4 shocks were Rancho's, but they were valved to Fords specs. ANy of the aftermarket Rancho's will also be an improvement.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:21 PM
So if i crank my torsion bars all the way would it still be safe to drive or would I have to worry about stuff breaking. Sorry kinda new to the offload truck world. Kinda been dedicating my money and time to my mustang which is pretty much the exact opposite with all suspension stuff haha. I'm just wanting it to stand out a bit. And still look like my tires still fit the truck. I done want u huge lift with my 285 75 17s to look tiny

Old 03-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Those will look fine with a level. And you won't be able to crank them all the way on both sides anyways. One side will go up higher than the other so you'll have to lower it back down. But yes you'll be fine driving around with them cranked.

Quick Reply: leveling kit and shocks