2008 FX4 Replacement Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 FX4 Replacement Shocks

I've read for days on recommendations on which shocks to replace my stockers with, and I am down to the same 2 choices I had in mind before I started searching. How do I pick one?
Currently I have 56k miles on my stock shocks. I am stuck between the Rancho RS 9000xl's and the Bilstein 5100's.
I have a leveling kit on my truck, and 3 inch blocks in the rear. I also have to decide if I want to remove the leveling spacers and install the quiklift Rancho's or use the Bilstein's for the leveling.
My truck is red, and the color of the Rancho's would look better, but that sure seems like a bad reason to select one shock over the other. If I would be happy with the ride of either, then the color match would put the Rancho's over the top for me.
I don't off road. I hunt and fish and tow a 3500lb bass boat. So for ride, I would like for it to be like it was when it was new, really a comfortable ride. I did install 34" E rated Terragrapplers and they ride on the rough side.
Suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My quicklift shocks are silver, so you might want to check that out further. The Rancho XLs have a 9 position adjustment so you can dial in the ride you want. I equate comfort to a softer valving in a shock, which I don't think you'll see in the Bilstein. If those tires are LTs, you have to run higher air pressure. It's just the nature of the beast and no shock is going to mitigate that rougher ride.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Your right Windsor, Quicklift do appear to be all silver, but the rear have some red on them and I want to buy either 4 rancho's or 4 bilsteins, not mix & match. I should have clarified that.
It may be spring before I can afford another upgrade, but I am leaning the Rancho route.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another vote for the Racho. I have them and was impresed with the adjustability. You basically end up with a custom valved shock after you dial it into where you want it. Opinions vary...my dad has the Bilsteins on his '07 and I find them a bit soft for my liking. Handle great and drives perfectly, I just prefer a bit firmer feedback.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Former Sponsor
My customers seem to like the Belltech Lifting/Lowering Strut with Street Performance shocks for the rear.

The strut allows you to lift or lower the truck up to 3"

Quick Reply: 2008 FX4 Replacement Shocks