3" body lift help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3" body lift help

I recently got my first truck(single cab 4x4 1994 F-150XL) and I've decided I want to get a 3" body lift since I won't be able to afford to finish my sound system for a good amount of time. I don't have very much knowledge about trucks so I am not sure if it would be a good idea for me to try to install this myself but I don't know anyone who could help and I'm definitely not paying for someone to do it. I have been reading instructions online a lot recently trying to figure it out but I keep getting confused. I think I'd be fine with it if I could find instructions with pictures but I have had no luck when looking for them so any help with that would be appreciated.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Ive done a few trucks and done one by myself and it sucked and I knew what I was doing. Doing it alone and never doing it before is gonna be kinda hard considering you said you dont have much knowledge, that being said If you take your time and such you can do it, it will just be harder. Theres no one that can help you doing a bl isnt hard mentally just tedious and takes time and is easier to do with another person.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:03 PM
You can do it. They aren't that hard, but there are a few steps where having anotherperson for 10 min or so would be a bit help.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:23 PM
I'll definitely get it then. I just didn't want to get it then not be able to install it. I don't mind having to take a lot of time and work to do it. I can't even get my license until I'm seventeen in September anyway so I'm not really in a hurry. I also have a problem with the steering wheel moving back and forth a lot before the wheels start to turn and it has gotten really bad recently. I'm not exactly sure what to do about that but I have some ideas after reading about it on this site for a while.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:23 PM
u crank t bars and match the rear end yet? that alway looks good. then do 3" BL.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordordie1
u crank t bars and match the rear end yet? that alway looks good. then do 3" BL.
94's don't have t-bars!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wolf: here are the instructions for the P.A. 3" body lift. They aren't as detailed as the instructions were for my 97, but they are pretty straight forward.

http://www.performanceaccessories.co...ctions/823.pdf

Trending Topics

Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the instructions. The only thing I can't do with this yet is cut out part of the frame to raise the front bumper since I do not have a grinder. I don't have any idea of what a smog canister is yet but I'm sure I can figure that out.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cut the ends of the frame on my old Screw with a hacksaw.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
I cut the ends of the frame on my old Screw with a hacksaw.
I didn't even think of that.

What will be the largest tire size I can use after I install the body lift? I have read it will be possible to use 35's but I have also heard I can't.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Eh...for that body style of truck a set of leveling springs is a much better option for a small lift. Your truck is an XL...do you plan on installing the hack job shifter extensions on your own as well?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by GTRider245
Eh...for that body style of truck a set of leveling springs is a much better option for a small lift. Your truck is an XL...do you plan on installing the hack job shifter extensions on your own as well?
In all of the instructions I have read for this lift, I haven't seen anything about shifter extensions so I'm not sure what you are talking about. It said to just let it drop downward through the floor as the cab goes up. This is where I was planning to order it from and I don't see anything about shifter extensions here either. http://4wheelonline.com/Products.asp...&ProductID=234

There is a good chance I am missing something or misunderstanding what you are saying so just correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by wolf424242
In all of the instructions I have read for this lift, I haven't seen anything about shifter extensions so I'm not sure what you are talking about. It said to just let it drop downward through the floor as the cab goes up. This is where I was planning to order it from and I don't see anything about shifter extensions here either. http://4wheelonline.com/Products.asp...&ProductID=234

There is a good chance I am missing something or misunderstanding what you are saying so just correct me if I'm wrong.
I would call Performance Accessories and ask them. I have never looked into a body lift, I just know some kits come with the shifter extensions that you have to cut and weld in to your shifters. With your truck I would think this would be more of an issue with the transfer case than the transmission (if you have a 5 speed).

One of the many reasons I don't like body lifts and try to suggest any other means of lifting the truck possible.

Quick Reply: 3" body lift help