6" Fabtech, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6" Fabtech, Help!

I've ordered a 6" Fabtech for my 2002 Ford F150. Everything seems very straight forward... Except for the torsion bar unloading process... Now, I've been doing a lot of research and I've read a bit about the "Specialized" tool... I don't think that it is necessary because I've also read even more about people using either a gear puller or an oversized C-Clamp... If I use a gear puller, what size should I use? I know i'm not the only one posting this, but I'd really like to get my own answers for this part of the install... If anyone has any USEFULL input, I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks fellas!

Last edited by SKinny87; 07-13-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:01 PM
I used a large C-clamp, which I knocked the anvil off, leaving just the ball end, and it fit nicely in the socket in the torsion key, and worked well. The hardest part was knocking the rusty torsion key loose. I just left the opposite ends in the lower control arms and removed/reinstalled them as an assembly. I tried to pound them loose, but there was no way.
On my lift, that was the hardest part of the install. So, if yours goes like mine did, it's all smooth sailing after that.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by sledman62
I used a large C-clamp, which I knocked the anvil off, leaving just the ball end, and it fit nicely in the socket in the torsion key, and worked well. The hardest part was knocking the rusty torsion key loose. I just left the opposite ends in the lower control arms and removed/reinstalled them as an assembly. I tried to pound them loose, but there was no way.
On my lift, that was the hardest part of the install. So, if yours goes like mine did, it's all smooth sailing after that.
Yeah, that's right along the lines that i was thinkin' too... Did you do your kit on your own? Or did you have another set of hands? Also, how long did it take you?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 PM
I am considering putting the same kit on my 2001 F150 Flareside. I wish I could help you but I suspect that we are a long way apart. I'm in central FL close to Cocoa Beach/satellite Beach. It would be great if you could take some pictures during the process. Definitely take some before pix of your truck so we can compare. My research and the advice from everyone here convinced me that the Fabtech kit was the way to go. Steve M.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by smmpa
I am considering putting the same kit on my 2001 F150 Flareside. I wish I could help you but I suspect that we are a long way apart. I'm in central FL close to Cocoa Beach/satellite Beach. It would be great if you could take some pictures during the process. Definitely take some before pix of your truck so we can compare. My research and the advice from everyone here convinced me that the Fabtech kit was the way to go. Steve M.
Absolutely! Was planning on it anyways. I'm installing it on the last weekend of July... I'll make sure and take detailed pictures and see if I can do up some notes in case there is anything that the installation manual misses.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:35 AM
I did mine alone, in my driveway, with hand tools and jacks. It took about 16 hrs total, over a weekend.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks. Installing it yourself will take time but will save a lot of $$. Good luck and have fun.

Quick Reply: 6" Fabtech, Help!