Steering Issues on 2011 Platinum, anyone else having this problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Issues on 2011 Platinum, anyone else having this problem ?

Greetings everyone, I hate that my first post on the Forum has to deal with a problem, but I was wondering if anyone else's 2011 with the electric power steering is having a problem with the steering wheel locking up ? Mine will lock up, on left turns only when the wheel is at 11:00 o'clock and only after the truck is well warmed up (about 10+miles into a drive). It also occurs only in excess of 45 mph and will happen if you are on a on/off ramp, when you make a move to pass someone on a two lane road (where you will make a sharper move onto the pass than a routine lane change), or when you enter a turn lane. You can physically bring the wheel back but it will keep on locking until you leave the turn. Fortunately we have had little rain as on wet pavement this problem could have dire results. The good news is that the truck duplicated the problem when the technician at the dealer drove it with me, he also noticed that there are time when the steering gets sloppy, as if it has lost power. What I had noticed is that on the highway the truck will start to drift like it's getting pushed by a strong wind.

The truck is at the dealer being dignosed with someone at Ford, I will keep the board up dated in the event someone else runds into this problem down the road.

Paul

Old 06-21-2011, 02:08 PM
yikes! thats sounds really dangerous! glad it didnt cause any wrecks

Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yea, that's pretty bad. That's law suit country there if something ever happened. Not saying be an ambulance chaser, just saying this is something they should really take serious. I'd never heard of electric steering before...may need to check that out.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Update; Spoke to the dealer yesterday and Ford has told them to replace the gear box. That should get done today, I have asked that the tech that is working on the truck (the same one who test drove it with me and experienced the problem first hand) drive the truck home tonight to make sure that this was in fact the issue. I will post back when this is done and I have a had a chance to drive the truck a good distance to confirm that the problem had been resolved.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Problem solved, put 300+miles on the truck this weekend, no steering issues at all.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Glad your still here to post the results, welcome to the site.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Same issue

I just bought a 2011 f-150 and I am having the same exact issue. Is there anyway you can send me the info your dealer found so I can pass it on to my dealer?

Trending Topics

Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the welcome MD, glad to have found this forum.

Dfish; I can fax you my invoice now if you're near a fax or can scan it an send it to you via e-mail tonight. Let me know what works best for you. Hang in there, they will be able to straighten it our for you.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude...that's actually kinda scary you guys are having this problem. Are you guys elevating it so someone other than the local dealer knows?? Local dealer does not equal Ford.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM
My dealer dealt directly with Ford to diagnose my problem and it was Ford that recommended the fix and sent the part. Based upon what the dealer said,"Given that it's a new system in the F150s we haven't seen this problem nor have we worked on them", I would imagine that the early incidences will be reported to Ford. To be hinest with you, the reason I started this thread was to have some reference point for people who were experiecing the same issue as there was nothing out there on this. I had a diesel VW Touareg and the 2010s all had water pump issues and due to the psotings on the Club Touareg Forum VW put out a TSB on the issue. Hopefully this won't turn into that wide apread an issue.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 AM
Yes that would be wonderful fax: 330-263-6553. I have and appointment next week for them to look at this any infirmation you have would be greatly appreciated,

Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
I'll fax it to you today, will it go right to you or should I put it to your attention?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by aupanther33
I'll fax it to you today, will it go right to you or should I put it to your attention?
Yes put it to attn: Dustin Fishburn or you can email d_fishburn@live.com

Old 06-30-2011, 11:57 AM
invoice sent via fax, i attached my cell #, feel free to call if you have any questions.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 AM
going to dealer

Thank you, it goes to the dealership tuesday I just hope it will do it for them because it does not do it all the time. I am going to ask them to contact your dealer if they have any questions about it.

Quick Reply: Steering Issues on 2011 Platinum, anyone else having this problem ?