torsion bar problem help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question torsion bar problem help?

I just recently lifted my truck and now I noticed when I brake or drive my torsion bars squeek. It doesn't happen when I drive a smooth road so much but if I go on a rough road it will and also when I brake at slow speeds. Why and what is causing this and how do I fix it. The squeek is coming from the torsion key area. Any advice the squeek is driving me crazy....Thanks .

Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never heard of this one before...there's no moving parts there. It's gotta be from something else. Sounds can be mysterious.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I haven't either but I dont know what else would be squeeking here. LOL I held onto my steps bars while the truck was being driven back and forth on my driveway, and this is where the squeek is coming from. Well this area and it is making me crazy. Not just the squeek but why its squeeking. If you can think of anything possibly in this area that may/would squeek please let me know.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:54 PM
check your ball joints. they're not in that area, but the sound may be traveling.

ball joints usually squeak when they are shot.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by chiefFX4
check your ball joints. they're not in that area, but the sound may be traveling.

ball joints usually squeak when they are shot.
Thanks for your input man, but when I lifted it I changed everything in my front suspension. Im about to hang on underneath while my neighbor drives slow.....lol

Old 08-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I have this very same problem. Comes from the torsion key area, only when really bumpy or braking while going slow, started right after i got the lift. I dont know what it is and its drivin me crazy.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by njmike
I have this very same problem. Comes from the torsion key area, only when really bumpy or braking while going slow, started right after i got the lift. I dont know what it is and its drivin me crazy.
Dude if you figure it out please let me know and I'll do the same. You ain't lying it drives me absolutely insane but I'm weird like that my stuff has to be perfect. My next two days off will consist of locating this issue. I am destined to find it and fix it LOL. Keep me posted

Old 09-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Guys,
Did you ever figure this out? I think I have the same problem. I cranked my bars and then started to notice noise. It's not really a high pitch squeek. More of a groan or even a clank. Like metal on metal. I can't figure it out. I've had my wheels off twice. It's driving me crazy to where I'd rather just take the car. I thought it was up front, but the more I listen I think it's from the key area.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 PM
the two with lifts the only thing i can think of is the torsion cross member drop bracket is shifting slightly. check the bolts holding the cross member and drop brackets to the frame.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Could it be your rear springs? Mine sqeak a little when I go over speed bumps and Toyota's!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 PM
@ Wookie..I thought it was the rear springs initially but after hanging on under the truck as my neighbor inched forward and back I narrowed it down to the torsion bar key area. I still don't understand why or have been able to get rid of it and it drives my crazy the longer it happens. And I like the Toyota comment LOL

Old 09-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by saserby
Guys,
Did you ever figure this out? I think I have the same problem. I cranked my bars and then started to notice noise. It's not really a high pitch squeek. More of a groan or even a clank. Like metal on metal. I can't figure it out. I've had my wheels off twice. It's driving me crazy to where I'd rather just take the car. I thought it was up front, but the more I listen I think it's from the key area.
Dude havent figured it out yet. Once I do Ill let you know what I did to correct it. Thinking my next step is to grease the key and bolt tip where it supports the key with marine grease. who knows I'll get it though.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by chiefFX4
the two with lifts the only thing i can think of is the torsion cross member drop bracket is shifting slightly. check the bolts holding the cross member and drop brackets to the frame.

Chief, thanks for your input but this was my first point to check and all was good and tightened with no shifting. But i am open to anything someone suggests to look at just in case I havent done it.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by MUDDUCK7
Dude havent figured it out yet. Once I do Ill let you know what I did to correct it. Thinking my next step is to grease the key and bolt tip where it supports the key with marine grease. who knows I'll get it though.
I sprayed mine down with a silicone lubricant. No change. I thought about grease. I'm also thinking about using a jack to separate the bolt and key and putting a thin piece of rubber in there. Just for a test. I'll let you know if I get to it first. I've got get it soon. It's driving me crazy.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
OH Happy day!! I found it.
I feel a bit silly, but it was my brake caliper on the passenger side. Just loose enough to wiggle. I rode on the step while a buddy drove me around and realized it was coming from the front wheel. I can't believe I didn't find it before, but I found it now.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: torsion bar problem help?