Pitman Arm Leaking!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitman Arm Leaking!!!!

I didnt know which area to post this in so i figured this one fit the best. I have a huge power steering leak right where the pitman shaft is. I went to the auto parts store and ordered the seal kit for the pitman shaft and rented the pitman arm puller. The only problem is that i left my chiltons manual for my truck at my place and im stayin at my girlfriends place for a while. The leak started all of a sudden and the whole thing drains in about an hour or so. Does anyone know where i could get a step by step on how to do this repair?? I feel very confident i can do this i just want to make sure i dont miss any key steps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:42 AM
well pretty much it is just held in place by an internal c clip. remove the arm and then remove the clip. start the truck up and put a pan under it. then turn the wheel to the side to put some pressure behind it and it will pop out on its own. press the new one in and reinstall the clip and there ya go.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Do i need any special tool to press it back in?? or does it just slide back in?

Old 07-31-2010, 02:30 PM
a large enough socket that will fit over the seal to push it back in square

Old 07-31-2010, 07:51 PM
i replaced everything the same way it came out. The snap ring was almost impossible to get out. The leak didnt stop. It got alot better but it didnt completely stop. Does this mean there is probably something else wrong or i did something wrong putting the new seals back in?

Quick Reply: Pitman Arm Leaking!!!!