Leveling kit aka torsion keys feedback wanted

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling kit aka torsion keys feedback wanted

I know that the general consensus around here is that the leveling kit- aka torsion keys for the 97-03 4wd trucks are bad.They cause excessive c.v . angles, cause the ball joints to wear out faster, waste of $$ etc.what I'm wanting to know is does anyone on this site have the leveling kit and have they had any or all of those issues? The reason that I am asking this is b/c I really want to do a lift for my truck and and money is really tight right now with my wedding coming up. So I am asking for some feedback on members who have used the leveling kit.

Also I was planning on using a body lift on my 02 screw to get it up in the air. I have 285/75/16 BFG A/T KO's on Mickey Thompson 16X8 classic II's and my truck is my daily driver so even though I really want the suspension lift I cannot afford to have my truck down for that long.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, you obviously know my opinon on them. Maybe the worst aftermarket product ever. I have a friend that installed a set on his GMC 2500 HD. He loved the height but a week later he told me he backed off the preload because the ride was so bad. So bottom line, he wasted a couple hundred bucks because he could have achieved his final ride height with his OEM keys. I'd go with the body lift.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I agree with the BL, have you already cranked your factory keys? If not you should be able to get at least 2" out of them.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Cranking the key bolts will give you the same effect, and issues.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibrocun
Cranking the key bolts will give you the same effect, and issues.
Kind of. Most people have no problems after cranking up the torsion bars with the OEM keys. The aftermarket keys allow you to put way, way too much preload on the torsion bars. Sometimes to the point that the suspension "tops out" and doesn't have any down travel.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:11 PM
No I have not cranked my factory keys yet- i really don't want the issues asociated w/ the aftermarket keys or cranking the factory ones. I just hate the nose down rake that the truck came with and i know that a BL will not get rid of that either. I just dont want to pop for a suspension lift and try to install it on a weekend and then not have it done by the time I have to go to work on Mon, if you know what I mean. Paying for somone to install the lift when I could probbably figure it out for myself seems like a waste of money. I am pretty mechanically inclined was taught by my father and uncle how to work on things just dont want to get in over my head w/ a lift install and I cant really afford it w/ the wedding coming up. But being at stock height is KILLING me!!!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Torsion keys not a good idea. I have them on mine and ended up putting $950 into getting the front end replaced. Tie rod ends, idler arm, cv axels, ball joints, etc... not to mention the ride is horrible. I would deffinately do a BL.

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 PM
you can try cranking up your stock ones a little and it should be fine. just don't go overboard. i had my aftermarket keys crenked for a while on mine. the ride was horrible and my inner cv boots, ball joints, idler arm, and pitman arm all went bad after about 8 months. i currently still have my aftermarket keys in but they are cranked all the way down now running 38's and it is fine.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit aka torsion keys feedback wanted