New shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New shocks

Wanted to thank everyone who submitted their recommendations for tires. Now I was wondering if anyone had a favorite shock absorber. I'm looking to replace the shocks in the future as well. Don't plan on doing any heavy hauling or towing, just looking for good handling and smooth ride.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2003 Supercrew, or "SCREW" 4 x 4, factory suspension height
5.4 l v8 automatic, 134xxx miles.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bilstiens are probably the best, but just about any aftermarket shock will be an improvement.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Bilstiens are probably the best, but just about any aftermarket shock will be an improvement.
Well, any aftermarket gas shock. There are some hydros out there!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:08 AM
x2 on Bilstein. Best shock on the market but also one of the most expensive. You won't have any regrets though...

Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
X3 I appreciate mine every day.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM
I too am getting ready to do my shocks, and have searhed but haven't found much. So I should do gas filled, I know that most people on here will recomend big name brands, but what I am mainly after is just a bolt up shock and don't want to worry about the adjustments on them at all, whci is what I have found with most of the shocks rec. Would the boots for the shocks really be benificial at all? and would I need to do an alignment after the shocks like struts?
I have 2wd stock hight.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by jk007
x2 on Bilstein. Best shock on the market but also one of the most expensive. You won't have any regrets though...
Actually the comparable Ranchos are more expensive. Bilsteins are priced well and are the most popular we carry for trucks and SUV's.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddoughboy
I too am getting ready to do my shocks, and have searhed but haven't found much. So I should do gas filled, I know that most people on here will recomend big name brands, but what I am mainly after is just a bolt up shock and don't want to worry about the adjustments on them at all, whci is what I have found with most of the shocks rec. Would the boots for the shocks really be benificial at all? and would I need to do an alignment after the shocks like struts?
I have 2wd stock hight.
Gas shocks are better.

I like my Monroe Reflex Monotubes. I think most shocks don't have adjustments but some of the high end ones do.

I have never added any boots to the shocks but some come with them already. Unless you do a lot of mudding or like the look I wouldn't bother adding them.

You do not need to do an alignment after replacing your shocks.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:17 PM
king shocks are compression and rebound adjustable, but you get what you pay for and they most likely dont have a shock the correct length for stock applications on the 97-03s.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Yeah I have been leaning towards Moroe since that is what we use here at the shop when we can't get KYB.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes most here do 'recomend big name brands' I guess because the are worth it. Go with the Monroe Reflex Monotubes as grizzstand suggested. You save some money, and still improve your ride. Better shocks make a big difference on a truck.

Shocks on the 98 body style are bolt on, and do not affect alignment.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:56 PM
The Procomp ES3000's are awesome I love them, but i had to get rid of them because it was for a 4" lift and i couldn't clear them if i hit a big bump. So i got ProComp ES1000's for 109$ and they ride great. Much better than stock. I dont know about the boots, they seem more of a look type of thing.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the recommendation! I have used Bilstein in the past on a 92 Explorer 4 x 4 I owned and was happy with them.

Shawn

Quick Reply: New shocks