Wow, estimate sounds off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, estimate sounds off.

I got an estimate to put on lift springs for 300$, he said because its new spings he has to take out the UCA's to put them in and something else about UCA's. He said it would be 50$ to put in Coil Spacers because he doesn't have to touch UCA's does this seem right. Im thinking about doing it myself but i dont know how to do it, im sure i can learn fast. My friend works at a suspension shop and says it will be easy and the guy was thinking about Dodges crappy UCA's? Help....?

Old 10-10-2009, 12:13 PM
If you're frind works at a suspension shop then have him help you do it. I paid some bastard $240 a long time ago to put 2" spacers on my truck because it was new, I didn't think I'd know how to do it and I didn't want to mess anything up. I ended up changing my UCA's and replacing the entire front strut/spring assembly months later all by myself in my condo parking lot in under an hour. It's not hard at all, you just need the right tools. It's easiest to drop to sway bar and tie rods so that you have more suspension droop and clearance to work with.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:22 PM
The only thing you have to do to the uca is take the bolt off to remove it from the spindle.

Take the appropriate socket and break it off a bit. Then hammer the spindle a bit until the uca comes loose. Then remove the nut the rest of the way. You will need a 10mm wrench on that bolt to keep it from free spinning.

The PITA about lift springs is getting them to fit onto the strut. You need a strut compressor. If you are getting lift springs you should also should have longer shocks.

Crank the spring down, loosen the top bolt to take off the cap. Insert new spring, compress that one until you can get the cap on and then tighten it down.

One thing you can do is remove the factory strut and take it to a suspension shop and just ask them to mount the new spring. They shouldnt charge you much more than 20 bucks a side, if that. Then go home and put the whole assembly in.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Guys we are talking about a 2002 truck here.

You probably will need to remove the inner bolts on the lower control arm to do either lift, but i guess he was saying that you will need the camber alignment bolts, and an alignment to get the truck back into specifications.

Or you can remove the upper ball joint to the spindle mount as the other option.

Bottom line is its something that can be done pretty easily in a home garage with a few basic tools, a floor jack, patience, and knowledge

Old 10-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Thats what i thought, he made it seem hard when i thought it was easy. He also talked about ready lift, isn't that only 04-09?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't see why it would be any harder to put lift coils on a 97-03 than a spacers.
Also, Readylift has to be the most overpriced line of products in the automotive aftermarket.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by wandell
I can't see why it would be any harder to put lift coils on a 97-03 than a spacers.
Also, Readylift has to be the most overpriced line of products in the automotive aftermarket.
Wow, im doing the ProComp shocks right now and they are a huge pain in the *** thanks to Fords crappy design, also they are made for 4 inches of lift and i have 0. Looks like a good excuse to get a lift .

Old 10-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Well, i got it on today for 100$. That was new coils on today. Then friday have to go in and get shocks, line up the leafs, and get an aligment for no cost. I thought 100$ for all that wasn't bad. He was ready to give me almost new 33" Terra Grapplers for free but they were for a 18" rim not a 16 .

Quick Reply: Wow, estimate sounds off.