Weird Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Problem

Lets see who can figure this out. My truck is making a strange "thump" or "clank" sound from the passenger's side front tire. When I am backing up, if i hit the brakes "thumps" just one time, its not too loud but loud enough to where I know something is wrong. After the initial thump in reverse, it doesn't do it again. Ive noticed it does a very quiet thump when stopping for the first time going forward. The noticable part is when I hit a bump. That's when the clanking sound comes into play. I have recently replaced the shocks and the lower ball joints. I gave a good tug on all the tie-rods/ends and they all feel solid. When I turn the wheel side to side it is silent, no squeaks or anything. There is no movement of the steering wheel while driving, even at 75mph. Im so stumped! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:24 PM
have you greased your idler arm and pitman arm lately? mine was doing that when my idler arm was going bad. i would start with making sure everything is greased properly before replacing them even though it only cost me about $130 in parts to replace.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Sounds liek a brake is hanging. Dou you have rear discs?

Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Yea I have discs all around. The noise is coming from the front end though. Would a hanging brake feel noticable when driving? Because i dont feel anything.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
yup time for pitman and idler arms

my truck used to do that on first stop in drive leaving the parking lot everyday

Quick Reply: Weird Problem