Newbie here, a little confused

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie here, a little confused

Hi all,

Would like a little insight on something. I intend on buying some new tires within a few weeks and I stopped by a local 4x4 shop to ask some questions and was told that I should consider leveling the truck out (2004 F150) and then I could decide on tires once I know what the max tire size I can get to fit. After making the appointment to bring my truck down, they told me that they couldnt level it cause of my torsion bars? Currently I have 255/70/17's and I am not necessarily looking for huge tires. All I want is to raise the vehicle up a bit and level it out. (it really seems to be slanted forward). So my questions are

1. Can it be leveled and how?
2. Should I get a lift kit? (I dont want to go with the expenses of the doing a whole job on the suspension)

I appreciate the help. I prefer to spend money on my car, but I really like the look of a lifted truck and would like to do so moderately and as inexpensive as possible. Thanks to any and all who reply. Tires are desperately needed no matter what but would rather not have it look stupid if I change the height of the truck later. Just want to do it all at once. Thanks again.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Im not a pro like some of these guys, but you can put a 1" -3" level on that year model for under 200.00 easily and run up to 35" tires, go to my profile pics i have pics of 285s, 305s, and 35"s on a 2.5 level kit. ( If you have a 4x4 i would advise against anything over 2.5 inches because of the angels it puts on you cv joints.

All it is is a spacer that sits on top of your struts (somewhere in that area, ha ha), but there are other options like the Bilstein 5100s adjustable shocks but they will run a little more.

Last edited by Jordanp252; 08-13-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Need more info on the truck.

many people with the nbs (04-08) have leveling kits. this guy may not have know what he was talking about.

if its the 04 heritage and a 4x4 you dont need a kit just crank your stock torsion bar up to level it out

Old 08-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RIght. There are two body style 2004 F-150. If your truck looks like mine, it has torsion bars and all you have to do is crank up the prelaod on your torsion bars and get an alignment to level it.
If you truck looks like Jordanp252's, it has coilover shocks and you need to buy a leveling kit which is $70- $100. You also have the problem of the shop you are dealing with being morons if this is the case.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:05 AM
First, thanks for replying. Little more info would (XLT, 4x4) and yeah brother, maybe they are morons, I dont know, but I do know what springs look like and the person there even asked me that. When I look over the front tire, I see the shock with the spring coiled around it. I'm more of an engine guy, but I know what springs look like. My truck looks like Jordanp252's. If I were to do a body lift, would that by default level it out? I would like to raise truck up about 2" or so. Not sure if that would affect towing or not, but honestly, I rarely tow anything anyway. Just thinking that if I can body lift a bit, and get some decent sized tires in there, I would be happy. And quick other question, I know it doesnt belong here, (though related) once I got the suspension issue straight, I saw Jordanp252 say I could get up to 35 tires in there, can you tell me about the aspect ratio on 31,33 tires, etc. (10.5, 11, etc) would like to understand how to do a tire size search properly when I go to get the tires. Truck is daily driver, fair amount of highway and Maryland winters can sometimes be a little screwy. Again, thanks for the info, its why I love sites like these.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Was also thinking,. I searched a few other posts and saw some replies related to this subject by "wendell" also.

Could I do a 2-2.5" level kit for front and then a 3" body lift kit? without putting stress on the CV's? Or is this redundant? Does a body lift kit, by default, also level the truck thereby negating the need for the leveling kit?

Just a thought, I'm learning, a lil slow, but I'm getting there.

And this "autospring" thing, is that the actual name of it?, I couldnt find it on ebay

Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Damn it!, post prior to the last one didnt show up. I had replied originally to all the help I got so far for this subject. So, in response, again, a little more info was requested. (XLT 4x4) and yes , they are coilover shocks. Also, I understand tire size as far as width, aspect ratio, etc, however for larger tires like 31's, etc, what does the aspect ratio in these numbers? 10, 10.5, etc.?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM

the body lift will keep the current stance of the truck and just lift the body 3". you could do a 3" body lift and 2 or 2.5" level and look good.

Autospring is the manufacturer

hope this helps

Old 08-14-2009, 10:55 AM

A body lift will not level out your truck.

You can get a leveling kit for your truck and that's what most guy's do if they just want to go up a few inches.

It will put more stress on your front end but I don't think anyone really has issues with it.

If you want to just level your truck out, I'd go with the leveling kit.

If you want to go bigger than that get a leveling kit and a body lift or better yet get a suspension lift.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks jake, on the search now for the Autospring, leveling kit and body lift. Appreciate the info.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Also, thanks to efuehrin. Yeah, after some searching, I've only read that most often the front end stress is only due to an increase lift in front beyond 2.5" or so. Thanks to all.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, I'm a huge fan of Performance Accessories body lifts. However, everyone says they are a pain to install on the 04-08 trucks. Just so you know.
As for tire fitment on the new 4x4's with a leveling kit, you can fit a 35x12.50 using the OEM wheels or 33's using wider aftermarket wheels. If you combine a leveling kit and a 3 inch body lift you can fit 35's using OEM or aftermarket wheels.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Suspended
id do 35" tires and a 2 1/2" leveling kit for now, if you decide bigger later on a body lift is an option and the 35's will still look great, or a you a suspension lift if you want even bigger

Quick Reply: Newbie here, a little confused