difference between leveling kit and cranked Torsion bars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
difference between leveling kit and cranked Torsion bars?

OK, My question is what really is the difference between a leveling kit and just cranking your torsion bars?

I know that the kit replaces the torsion keys with larger ones, but arn't you just doing the same thing?

I have been given crap from a few shops for cranking my torsion bars all the way up. Would the leveling kit make it better on the truck then just cranking the torsion bars?

Thanks,

Old 07-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is the same thing. The aftermarket torsion bar keys, aka leveling kit, just allows you to put way, way too much preload on the torsion bars. This destroys your ride quality and causes increased wear and tear on your CV and ball joints. Just crank the torsion bars with the OEM keys and save your money. Any shop that is recommending the aftermarket keys is either trying to make a profit by selling you a product you don't need or they are just plain dumb. Neither is good.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:58 PM
OK, thanks for the info.
That is what I was thinking, but wasn't 100% sure.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:10 PM
wandell is correct.

just think of it as preload. the preload lifts the truck.

so the more preload the higher the lift will be.

also the more preload the worse its gonna be on suspension components (cause your angles are not gonna be acceptable)

Now if it takes x amount of preload to get 2" then how much will it take to get 2" out of aftermarket keys, the same amount. The "reindexed keys" that they sell just allow you to put more preload for higher amounts of lift (which you dont want anyway)

if you want more than 1.5-2" then you need to look into real lifts (body or suspension)

Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I'm at the point that I need to get under there and start replacing the ball joints, rod ends etc... (6 years of playing with suspension cranked up)

I just wasn't sure if the newer kits were better on the suspension then just cranking the torsion bars up. Thanks for the info!

When I did mine I did get 1.5" - 2" of lift (that was all I wanted), and it did ride a bit stiff (the price you pay).

Old 07-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Scotts_Toys
Yeah, I'm at the point that I need to get under there and start replacing the ball joints, rod ends etc... (6 years of playing with suspension cranked up)

I just wasn't sure if the newer kits were better on the suspension then just cranking the torsion bars up. Thanks for the info!

When I did mine I did get 1.5" - 2" of lift (that was all I wanted), and it did ride a bit stiff (the price you pay).
yeah man, trust me i know where your at.

i had a 3" Body Lift, t-bars cranked and 36x12.5x16 TSL's and offroaded at least 2 times a week for about a year.

Only replaced the ball joints, tie-rods once never had any problems with the CV's

Then ripped the suspension off the frame and decided on SAS

Old 08-01-2009, 12:03 AM
just wondering how much of a rougher ride oem cranked torsion would make the ride

02 screw 4x4

Old 08-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will make the initail portion of the front suspension's travel slightly stiffer. Some people like this, some hate it. You will have to decide for yourself.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by ALVA
just wondering how much of a rougher ride oem cranked torsion would make the ride

02 screw 4x4
I had mine cranked all the way. ride was stiff but i really didnt mind.

Im used to driving leaf sprung setups, which are normally always stiffer.

My current setup is about PAR to havin my T-bars cranked

Old 08-01-2009, 09:00 PM
i have mine cranked up and one side only has about a thread and a half left, and other has a few turns still left. my truck still isnt level. should i max them out or what? will that like 1 thread give me any notciable lift?

Quick Reply: difference between leveling kit and cranked Torsion bars?