death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
death wobble

i dont know if this is in the right area or not, but anyways, over the past few weeks my truck has developed whats known as the death wobble. it started as maybe once a week, now its up to 3, 4, even 5 times a day over the past few days any time my right front tire hits a pot-hole, man-hole cover, or even on the slightest bump in the pavement. it doesnt shake up and down like if a shock was bad, it shakes side-to-side i jacked the truck up when i got home today and everything is tight, nothing seemed loose... i'd like to get rid of the OE ball joints and replace with something thats more durable offroad... whats y'alls opinion?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Well... I have never heard of this happening to a F150 .... Its very common on F250...my friend has and 07 F250 with a 14 inch custom lift with King coil overs 20 inch rims on 40 inch tires and his truck does the same thing ... its scary I have experenced it while driving with him...He paid top dollar of a good quailty lift too. ... he contacted the company and they have no solution or reason behind the "Death wobble" its generally common on big lift kits... He went down to 38"s and adjusted the coil overto a 12 inch rise and the death wobble has gone away....but other than that I dont see why you are having the same problem with your lift... Good luck

Old 05-15-2009, 07:21 PM
it does it around 35-40 mph and wont stop until i slow way down to 10 mph, it even did it while i was towing my boat around town yesterday... the only thing i could find loose was the caster/camber alignment on both sides had 1/16" play... i installed the lift a little over a year ago. put about 25K miles on it since and never had it wobble once, even on my road trips to and from colorado. it only started doing it within the last 100 miles.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 PM
death wobble is very common in jeeps as well. do a search on google for it. there are several different reasons that cause it but the first thing to do is get the alignment checked.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=aswaff400;3727876]it does it around 35-40 mph and wont stop until i slow way down to 10 mph, it even did it while i was towing my boat around town yesterday... the only thing i could find loose was the caster/camber alignment on both sides had 1/16" play... i installed the lift a little over a year ago. put about 25K miles on it since and never had it wobble once, even on my road trips to and from colorado. it only started doing it within the last 100 miles.[/QUOTE

are your ball joint original it's probably time to replace em also look at tie rod ends and stuff have someone turn the wheel while you look under there for loose stuff jack up the front so the tire is off the ground and use a pinch bar under the tire and have a friend lift up and down while you look at the ball joints any play and their bad

Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 PM
right now, i dont have the cash to take it to an alignment shop, plus i'd like to (before i go back to colorado) replace all the ball joints with something more abusive-friendly. IMO the OE seem to have a couple of weak links...

Quick Reply: death wobble