How in the hell do you remove diff cover?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How in the hell do you remove diff cover?

Just went to change my rear end oil with AMSOIL at 30k miles on my 07 F150, removed all 12 bolts and that SOB cover wasnt going anywhere. I banged on it with a rubb mallet, got the screwdriver started a little but didnt proceed as to not damage anything.

What should I do to get this cover off?

Old 05-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Keep working with the screwdriver or better yet, use a putty knife to cut the seal.

By the way if you use the same sealer instead of a gasket when you put it back on, you have to make sure the surface is dry and there isn't any oil slowly draining out. If there is any oil on the surface it will leak afterwards. Someone said you can buy a gasket at Autozone. If so, I recommend using the gasket.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its the RTV thats holding on the gasket. If you bend the pan a little just put it on the ground and hammer it straight its not biggie. I just use RTV instead of paper gasket.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I remember I changed out my cover to a Mag-Hytec and I couldn't get the stock cover to come off for nothing. I put the jack on it and started to jack it up and it came off alright....I had fluid everywhere!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How in the hell do you remove diff cover?