Installing Leaf Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Installing Leaf Springs

I purchased a 3" Level kit and an add a leaf for the rear. I understand how to install the level, but can anyone add some insite on how to install the leaf springs from beggining to end. I saw a post that showed step by step with pics on how to install the level kit. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
what year truck?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:53 AM
2008 Screw 2wd. I also have shocks for the rear, but I dont see those being a big deal.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:53 PM
well i just did this on my 2000 and I don't think there is much change in the leaf pack. So the steps would be:
1. SECURE the truck on jack stands under the frame
2. remove the rear wheels
3. unbolt the entire leaf pack (will most likely need a breaker bar and impact gun)
4. remove the U-bolts and pull the leaf pack out completely
5. unbolt the bolt that holds the leafs together (may need to cut off, I did) and unclamp the leafs.
6. put the new add-a-leaf in (shortest springs go on the bottom, longest on top, so insert accordingly)
7. press the springs together with a big C-clamp, and insert the new bolt through the springs and tighten, cut off excess threads.
8. install the (usually supplied) clamps that hold the spring pack together
9. reinstall leaf pack into the truck, install U-bolts and then lower/adjust the trucks height in order to get the leaf pack to line up correctly with its mounting brackets.

ProComp has installation instructions online, they are what I followed basically, some steps I changed around, you will find what works for you. The first side of the truck took me about an hour and a half and the other side only took me about 20 minutes to disassemble, install new leaf and reassemble. You'll figure it out, it's pretty easy.

Last edited by onefitty; 04-11-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
If you are just doing an AAL, you wont need to completely take the leaf springs off of the truck, just get about 6" of work space between the leafs and the axle. You will need a bare minimum of 2 stands and a sturdy floor jack. Put the jack under the axle before you loosen the U bolts, and then carefully lower the axle down once the U bolts are off. You will get the axle to drop down more if you disconnect the lower shock bolts.

Quick Reply: Installing Leaf Springs