Drivers side leaf spring bracket question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers side leaf spring bracket question

I have a 99 Ford F150 XLT, The bed started squeeking recently, and come to find out its the rubber under the leaf spring bracket on drivers side, How do I get the bracket lose to maybe put grease in it to make it stop? I get tired of having to spray it once a week to stop the squeek.

Thanks!!
Aaron

Old 10-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Suspended
Are you talking about the shackle? They sell new bushings but if you want to fix what you have I would do this. Jack the truck up by the hitch if you have one, drop the rear axle by removing the u bolts. disasemble the shackle and lube up the "bolt holes"/bushings with some wheel/bearing grease. Reassemble and all should be good. It sounds alot easier than it is though. there is a chance the bolts have seized to the bushing and you will end up having to buy new ones anyways but it's worth a shot. On second thought. the squeak could be the teflon pads between the leafs have worn out. This is an easy fix but requires disassembling the leaf pack.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:24 PM
ok thanks alot FTruck

Old 10-17-2008, 02:34 AM
What's squeaking? The shackles? The OEM shackles have no moving parts, and therefore shouldn't squeak. Greasing them wouldn't help because nothing moves....... Maybe you're referring to something else?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Delux
What's squeaking? The shackles? The OEM shackles have no moving parts, and therefore shouldn't squeak. Greasing them wouldn't help because nothing moves....... Maybe you're referring to something else?
The rear shackle has 2 pivot points, 1 where it connects to the frame and the other where it connects to the spring pack. Without the pivot points the springs no worky worky.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I stand by my original statement. No moving parts in the shackles. Nothing to squeak. Therefore, nothing to grease.

Aftermarket shackles with poly bushings are a different story......

Old 10-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Delux
I stand by my original statement. No moving parts in the shackles. Nothing to squeak. Therefore, nothing to grease.

Aftermarket shackles with poly bushings are a different story......

If a shackle had no moving parts how would the suspension flex??? If it didn't move it would be one bumpy ride...

Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ftruck05
disasemble the shackle and lube up the "bolt holes"/bushings with some wheel/bearing grease.
You're kidding, right??

Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Maybe you guys got me wrong by my wording when I started this, It was that bracket behind the rear wheel on drivers side clamped on the leaf springs, it has a rubber under that on the top, I losened up the bracket and put wheel grease where the rubber is and it stopped so problem fixed.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Suspended
Glad you got it fixed.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 PM
You might want to clean off the wheel grease and apply some silicon grease. Petroleum based grease has a tendency to deteriorate rubber bushings.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I believe he's talking about the spring clip which keeps the springs from moving to the side. Whoever said the shackle doesn't pivot is wrong, otherwise what would the point of the shackle be? You could just bolt it to the hanger.

Quick Reply: Drivers side leaf spring bracket question