Leveling Kits

Old 08-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling Kits

I was curious....which should I buy or do I need both. I am wanting a leveling kit for my 03 f-150 4x4. Do I need coil spring spacers and torsion keys , or do I need them both???

Old 08-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't need either one. Your truck doesn't have coilsprings, so a spacer will not do you any good. All the leveling kits for our trucks are just reindexed torsion bar adjustment keys. They do the same thing as cranking up the torsion bars, they increase the preload on the bar. These things have to be the biggest rip off ever. They allow you to put way, way too much preload on the torsion bars which causes premature wear and tear and destroys your ride quality. Just crank up your torsion bars with your OEM adjustment keys and get an alignment.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
you don't need either one. Your truck doesn't have coilsprings, so a spacer will not do you any good. All the leveling kits for our trucks are just reindexed torsion bar adjustment keys. They do the same thing as cranking up the torsion bars, they increase the preload on the bar. These things have to be the biggest rip off ever. They allow you to put way, way too much preload on the torsion bars which causes premature wear and tear and destroys your ride quality. Just crank up your torsion bars with your oem adjustment keys and get an alignment.
sorry if i sound retarded. But how do i do that and where are they keys for it? Will i give my truck any lift?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The torsion bar is the long bar that runs from the lower a-arm to the center of the truck. There is one on each side. At the end of the bar is an adjustment key (cam) with a bolt on it. Just tighten each bolt an equal number of turns untill you get the height you want. Most people can get between 1 1/2 to 2 inches of lift. You will need an alaignment afterwards. I have a pic of the torsion bar/adjustment key and bolt in my gallary.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 PM
just cranked mine yesterday got about 1 1/2. i really dont think the truck rides any differently as far as quality goes. IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leveling Kits