torn cv boots... any recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torn cv boots... any recommendations??

I have replaced my cv boots numerous times and all they do is keep ripping back apart. my angles are bad tho. 6" fabtech and 2.5 AS. i dont wanna sacrifice height at all. Has anyone found a better cv joint and boot than the OEM ones? the stock boot is so plastic like and hard. I want a softer rubber boot that wont tear due to the angles. Im down for Kneegrow riggin also so let me know if you have any ideas!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:52 AM
your only option is probably going to be swapping to a 2" AS, its only a half inch height sacrifice but should help out those nasty angles a good bit

Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Or you could take out your leveling kit and get some bilstein 5100 shocks and crank them 2". You will lose .5" but your angles will be alot better

Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by 4X4AUTIGER
Or you could take out your leveling kit and get some bilstein 5100 shocks and crank them 2". You will lose .5" but your angles will be alot better
Can't use Bilsteins he has a Fabtech (uses longer shocks to get lift not a spacer). Even if he uses the Bilsteins designed for 4-6" of lift and puts it at the 6" setting he'll still have to put a leveling kit on top to stay at the height he's at now. I'd either put on a 2" leveling kit or get some dirt-logic coil-overs and crank them up 2"

Old 08-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by 07fx4silver
Can't use Bilsteins he has a Fabtech (uses longer shocks to get lift not a spacer). Even if he uses the Bilsteins designed for 4-6" of lift and puts it at the 6" setting he'll still have to put a leveling kit on top to stay at the height he's at now. I'd either put on a 2" leveling kit or get some dirt-logic coil-overs and crank them up 2"
Are you sure because i talked to 4wheelparts and they told me that you can use bilsteins and that they will adjust to 2"?

Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure Bilstein makes a coilover shock that will work with the 6 inch Fabtech lift, but it's just not the oem replacement model that several members here are using.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Are you sure because i talked to 4wheelparts and they told me that you can use bilsteins and that they will adjust to 2"?
Yep 100% sure . 5100 wise you either have the stock replacement ones (that will work with a pro comp stage 1 or rize) or you have the 4"-6" ones (used in the rcd lift kit) which will work on a fabtech lift and they do adjust 2" (4"-6") but at the 6" setting you'll still be sitting at 6" (won't gain any height out of them) plus I don't think 4 wheel parts even sells the 4"-6" style shock just the OEM replacement 0"-2". 4 wheel parts overall is good store but a lot of the time they don't have a clue of what there talking about

Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 PM
dirtlogic coilovers cranked up 2" would do the trick? and then just take the AS out? might could do that. maybe do that and get a 1.5" spacer... then i would be taller than what i am now huh? by 1" if my math is correct.

also... is it ok that in the rear ive got (2) 2" blocks and the 5" fabtech block in the back. Is that too many blocks? ive never had problems out of it in the year and a half but didnt know if that was actually good?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by BakerF150
dirtlogic coilovers cranked up 2" would do the trick? and then just take the AS out? might could do that. maybe do that and get a 1.5" spacer... then i would be taller than what i am now huh? by 1" if my math is correct.

also... is it ok that in the rear ive got (2) 2" blocks and the 5" fabtech block in the back. Is that too many blocks? ive never had problems out of it in the year and a half but didnt know if that was actually good?
Can't have the coilovers cranked and run the AS (you think your boots are tearing now...), your upper control arm won't reconnect and even if they would your angles would be way too severe. I would recommend the dirtlogics over a leveling kit but they are expensive. Whatever you do, just don't go over 2" on top of the fabtech. As far as the rear is concerned, I'd ditch those extra blocks, never a good idea to stack blocks, even more so if you off-road, tow or carry heavy loads, (good chance you'll either break one of your u-bolts or a block will slip) just throw in an AAL and it should give you the height you need

Last edited by 07fx4silver; 08-18-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
thanks for the quick response bro. yeah i hear you on the blocks. i baby my truck for now but the new is wearing off and i feel like gettin it dirty now!!!! especially cause new tires are coming soon.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Yep 100% sure . 5100 wise you either have the stock replacement ones (that will work with a pro comp stage 1 or rize) or you have the 4"-6" ones (used in the rcd lift kit) which will work on a fabtech lift and they do adjust 2" (4"-6") but at the 6" setting you'll still be sitting at 6" (won't gain any height out of them) plus I don't think 4 wheel parts even sells the 4"-6" style shock just the OEM replacement 0"-2". 4 wheel parts overall is good store but a lot of the time they don't have a clue of what there talking about
haha true about how 4wheelparts usually has no idea about what theyre talkin bout but on their website it shows that you can buy bilstein shocks that are made for a 6" lift in the front and they will adjust 2"...

Old 08-18-2008, 11:25 PM
haha true about how 4wheelparts usually has no idea about what theyre talkin bout but on their website it shows that you can buy bilstein shocks that are made for a 6" lift in the front and they will adjust 2"...
I've seen that and I'm sure it's the 4"-6" shocks as it also shows a 3" rear and those shocks are supposed to be used in the rear with the 4"-6" shocks up front. If Bilstein made shocks that went to 8" I'm sure just about every rize owner would have them instead of the spacers that come with the lift. Give it a shot, maybe they do make some

Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 PM
I've seen that and I'm sure it's the 4"-6" shocks as it also shows a 3" rear and those shocks are supposed to be used in the rear with the 4"-6" shocks up front. If Bilstein made shocks that went to 8" I'm sure just about every rize owner would have them instead of the spacers that come with the lift. Give it a shot, maybe they do make some
Well im going to truck fest on sat and sun so ill ask around and get back to ya on what i find out

Quick Reply: torn cv boots... any recommendations??