4" Rancho or Leveling Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" Rancho or Leveling Kit?

I've got a '05 F150 FX4 and I can't decide what I want to do, as of right now it is completely stock, I've been debating a few options. Basically what it comes down to is the 4" rancho or just a leveling kit. The only thing holding me back from the lift is gas mileage and the overall price of new tires and the lift (still a college student).

My question as far as the lift is what kind of mileage would I be getting with the lift & 33's or 35's?

If I decided to go with the leveling kit, are there any other options out there to give my truck a little bit of height without the cost of a lift kit? Does anyone have pictures with a body lift on theirs?

I don't do much off-roading, so I am going more for the look than anything.

I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Im in college, just went through that whole thing. Right away i knew i wasnt getting a leveling kit....stresses your suspension and wears the ball-joints and CV shafts quicker. I then decided on the rancho for a while, but then decided hell if im spending the money i might as well get a fabtech since its the same amount. I have 35s with it. The mileage isnt bad as long as you stay out of the throttle. Definitely go for the suspension lift, it is WELL worth it.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Suspended
lift it! i love my lift.
gas mileage. im getting 12 if i get on it. and up to 13.5 if i am easy on throttle.

while driving to school about 700 miles i averaged 18.4mpg doing 64mph and 15.2 doing 80mph.

i have 35's w/ the 4.6 and 3.73ls.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't go with the lift kit you will just regret it later.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got a rancho on my screw and i love it. i get around 15 still on the highway with the cruise on running 35's with 3.55 gears. also i went with a full lift because i wanted the angles to be stock-like as i use 4 by quite often in the winter. if you the money id go with a supsension lift. you can keep your stocker fx4 rims and use those if you like too. wowak had 35 muds on his stock wheels with a rancho and it looked really nice. for the body lift, unelss your gonna install it yourself, it'll cost ya about a grand from what i read and heard. check out Jesse101, he's running 35 toyo muds with a leveling kit and a body lift. if mileage is really a concern, i'd get level it and get some nice 33's on 18's/20's. heres a pic of my truck with a rancho on it, i sit almost 6 inches higher at the mirror vs a stock xlt

Old 08-16-2008, 07:39 AM
I just had the Rancho quick lift installed on my 07 KR. I went through the same problem as you. I wanted the whole lift kit. I had got a couple of prices for the quick lift and new rear shocks. I then went to another shop and they gave me a price of a little over 300 for the fronts with free installation. So I couldn't pass that up. I had the bilstien leveling shocks on another F150 I had. These seam o ride better and a adjustable. So If yo can find a deal on them they are pretty good and much less then the whole lift kit. I drive a lot on the highway so I dont plan on running any tires much over 33" so it works out well for me. Good luck with your choice!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it. I know everyone is telling me to go with the lift kit, but I am starting to lean towards a leveling kit and a body lift. I am able to install it myself and it is more for looks than off roading. The price def looks better as well. If I had the extra money I would go with the rancho.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suspension is always better but you just have to consider what you want and how you need it to function.

Me I went first with AS leveling kit and now I have the Bilstien leveling shocks(which is much much better than the AS spacer). I didn't want a complete lift kit since I like to being able to get in the back of my truck easy. Also I don't offroad at all except for during deer season. I chose the leveling kit even though the front suspension angles are not that great. But honestly the only angles that appears to be bad is the upper ball joint. The other angles are not that bad with only 2" of lift. I figure I can replace the upper ball joint pretty cheap myself(which requires changing the whole upper control arm) and it seems that most people are getting a lot of miles out of the upper ball joints with the leveling kit as long as you don't offroad much or any. As far as the CV joints are concerned I don't think the angle is that bad and the axles are not turning unless you are in 4wd with these trucks.

The choice is yours, you can always do a full lift later if you like. The leveling kit isn't that much money if you decide to do a lift later....good luck.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:16 PM
I love my Rancho. I was in the same boat as you. But as someone above stated; angles, unnecessary wear and tear and 4 wheel drive kept me from getting the leveling kit. Then I was debating between a 4" or 6" kit. Again, I'm happy that I went with the 4". I clear 35's easily, its not too high and my angles are still close to stock. If you have to save your money for a few months or get a part time job its well worth it. As for gas mileage; who gives a **** as long it looks good and you are happy. However I have noticed that I fill up more often now!

Carl

Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Lifted

I also went with the 4" Rancho on my FX4. I def. feel that this was the best move. Not only does it look better, but the ride and wear is better. I agree with the above post with 4" works for me better than the 6" do that i have a youngin. You can do the lift yourself too. I did it in about 12hrs and i don't have a lift and garage(per say) to do it. The directions are easy to follow and go step by step. My advice is go through the instructions before you make your decision. It may be easier than you think!

Quick Reply: 4" Rancho or Leveling Kit?