Odd Tailgate suspension experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd Tailgate suspension experience

Ok I am guessing this is the right place to post my strange story/question.

So I pulled my truck into my friends driveway today which is a fairly steep incline. I pulled it in diagonally so my left rear tire was a lot more pushed up into my wheel well while my right rear tire was lower. I popped open my tailgate to unload something I had in the back. I went to shut it and the right side snapped into place but the left side wouldn't close completely flush. It was sticking out like an inch and a half to two inches. I didn't want to force it shut.

Me and my friend kept trying and then just looked at it like this

Haha so I was like what if it has something to do with the incline I am on, so I pulled out and onto level ground and voila the tailgate shut.

What exactly caused this to happen? I don't understand how the tailgate can be related to suspension?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably bed/frame flex. Its like the same thing with convertables, when I lift them on a hoist, I cannot open and shut the doors on them because the way the car bends and flexes when its lifted at certain points.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:13 PM
^^Precisely correct!! This occurs in most vehciles when put at odd angles. The 09 F150's aren't supposed to have this problem.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:13 PM
So basically it was my frame/body flexing with the angle I was at that made it not fit correctly. Then doesn't that mean when I had the tailgate closed that there was a lot of pressure being forced upon my closed tailgate?

Old 08-02-2008, 03:09 AM
Originally Posted by andrewc_11890
So basically it was my frame/body flexing with the angle I was at that made it not fit correctly. Then doesn't that mean when I had the tailgate closed that there was a lot of pressure being forced upon my closed tailgate?
if it did have any pressure you would have probably felt it when you opened it. like a spring load action. or was it rubbing or tough to pull open? i dont think it is much of pressure as to why it would no close i think it is just things where not lining u right.

Quick Reply: Odd Tailgate suspension experience