Installing new Bilsteins

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing new Bilsteins

Just got my Bilsteins in for my 98 F-150, heres a pic of the fronts....

http://www.bilsteinshocks.com/produc...s/BE5-2489.jpg
The back shocks came strapped but the fronts didnt have a strap, and look exactly like the pic.
Are they fully extended already, or is there some type of twist lock mechanism in the shaft, that after install you can activate and extend?
They just dont seem that long to be fully extended in the box, but with no strap I just kinda scratched my head.
Ive installed shocks several times, but its been over 20 yrs since my last install, so maybe my memory isnt that great, but I could have sworn an extended shock was longer. I wont be doing the install for a couple of weeks, and I will obviously find out then when I remove the old shocks, but just thought I would ask and maybe learn something beforehand, rather or not a locking mechanism exists or not, or if Im just starting to become senile.
Thanks.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
That's the correct set up. Here's the easiest way to install them. The rears are easy. Just pull the old ones off, put the new ones in and cut the strap. Makes sure you have your busngs and everything on correctly.

The fronts are a pain though. I've installed a couple of sets. Follow the directions but you'll need to compress the rubber bushing. I used a vice. Reason being is because the nut won't thread on top. You'll see what I'm talking about.

They're worth it though. I'll have Bilsteins from here on out on every truck I own.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by jk007
That's the correct set up. Here's the easiest way to install them. The rears are easy. Just pull the old ones off, put the new ones in and cut the strap. Makes sure you have your busngs and everything on correctly.

The fronts are a pain though. I've installed a couple of sets. Follow the directions but you'll need to compress the rubber bushing. I used a vice. Reason being is because the nut won't thread on top. You'll see what I'm talking about.

They're worth it though. I'll have Bilsteins from here on out on every truck I own.
Thanks jk for the advice. When compressing the bushings in the vice, is it possible to over compress, or just about half way should be enough.
I know exactly what your talking about, because when I was replacing my stabilizer bar links, I ran into the same problem . Never thought about "pre-compressing" them though, makes sense now, I just herniated them in the hard way.
Guess what Im asking is, do you remember the thickness of the bushing when you were compressing them in the vice, about half of the actual original thickness or more?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Typhus
Thanks jk for the advice. When compressing the bushings in the vice, is it possible to over compress, or just about half way should be enough.
I know exactly what your talking about, because when I was replacing my stabilizer bar links, I ran into the same problem . Never thought about "pre-compressing" them though, makes sense now, I just herniated them in the hard way.
Guess what Im asking is, do you remember the thickness of the bushing when you were compressing them in the vice, about half of the actual original thickness or more?
Compress them as much as you can, you won't mess them up. I was barely able to squish them down at all, but I compressed 2 at a time. You'll be in good shape. Don't worry about over compressing them. They are fairly difficult to compress to begin with IMO...

Quick Reply: Installing new Bilsteins