Payload Limitations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Payload Limitations?

I have a 2001 F-150, XLT, 5.4L. It has the 3.55 axle and 6500# GVWR. What is the limiting factor when I load up my bed? My tires are LT (D rated).

Similar to many others who have posted before me, I load my truck up 5-10 times a year with fertilizer, sand, etc. It sags and I want to stiffen the back up. Of course all of the gear you buy states that the trucks rating must be adhered to and their product does not up that rating. However, common sense tells me that either the tires, frame, springs or the axle must be the limiting factor. (Or brakes?)

I plan on putting on some helper springs (probably a Hellwig system or a SuperSpring). And I've read just about everyone tell there stories of loading up there trucks to 1+ tons.

My real question is: When is it safe to load your truck up to above the rated load?

Thanks in advance I'll be watching the answers.

Last edited by hhottrod; 12-29-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:24 AM
instead of helper springs, have you considered Air Lift air bags??

I have never overloaded my truck as far as I know, but I wanted to have a level or near level vehicle once loaded so I installed air bags that go between the frame and the axle....normal no-load air pressure is kept at 5 psi (minimum number I believe)

Once I know I'll be loading something on the heavy side, I'll add air. You are supposed to add air before loading, but I have forgotten a few times and have not had any problems.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by hhottrod
However, common sense tells me that either the tires, frame, springs or the axle must be the limiting factor. (Or brakes?)
all of the above.

Quick Reply: Payload Limitations?