Torsion Bar removel

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torsion Bar removel

How do you remove the torsion bar keys so i can move that cross member back and get my tranny out. I dont know how to take the presure off the key so i can remove the the part that the adjustment bolt screws into.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all i can tell you is that they make a torsion bar unloading tool! that might help, i know you have to buy one when you get new torsion keys! hope that helps

Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On my truck, when you back that bolt out it removes all the pre-load and they just fall right out!

I have heard mention this is not the case on all trucks and you need a tool on some. I don't know for sure if mine is different because it's a SuperCrew or not, but that was the case on my truck. I would at least give it a try before you spend money or hunt down a tool you don't need. Not like it's any trouble to try. Just completely back the bolt out!! If there's still pre-load on the bar then it didn't work. Put the bolt back in! That simple.

And in case you were going to ask, yes!! The torsion bars on SuperCrews are different than any other body style. They're shorter for some reason. Never heard a difinitive reason why.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a large gear puller to get them out. Put the arms of the puller on the crossmember and then put the puller screw in the indent on the torson bar adjuster. Screw the adjuster up to take the pressure off the metal plate that is sticking threw the crossmember. Take out the metal plate and then loosen the gear puller and all the pressure will be off the bars and you can push them out of the crossmember. Just make sure you mark the bars and crossmember so you can put them back the same way. If you have any other questions let me know. I just took them out about a month ago.

Quick Reply: Torsion Bar removel